HEP Grad Student Funding

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

tashwoods

HEP Grad Student Funding

Post by tashwoods » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi guys!
Hopefully this is not a duplicate thread. Does anyone know of funding sources other than NSFGRFP for HEP Experiment Grad students? I am currently a second year grad student.

Thank you in advance!

cwr

Re: HEP Grad Student Funding

Post by cwr » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:41 pm

Mentioning them can only hurt my chances, since I'm also applying for all of these this cycle, but I'd want someone to do the same for me.

I would recommend applying for DoE CSGF, NDSEG, and Ford. HEP-ex is well within the supported fields for all of them, and they're great opportunities. With the exception of Ford (due 20th November), these aren't due for a while so you have time to think about them and work on your proposal. Other than these, I'm not aware of any others (besides the Hertz, whose deadline already passed and is more geared towards applied physics).

tashwoods

Re: HEP Grad Student Funding

Post by tashwoods » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:32 am

Haha cwr, well thank you! I am sure your chances have not been hurt in a way that matters :)