Where Do I Begin?

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

danterafaal

Where Do I Begin?

Post by danterafaal » Tue May 05, 2015 8:40 pm

I will be starting a Master's program in the Fall for Physics. I would like to START the search for a master's thesis, but have no idea where to begin. Here is the reason: When I start researching a topic I think may be interesting the physics is so over my head I have no idea what's going on. Here's my question: How are you supposed to understand the "big picture" of a research topic if you have no idea what they are talking about ever? Any advice?

pmb

Re: Where Do I Begin?

Post by pmb » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:46 am

If I were in your position I'd talk to a graduate advisor and ask him for his advice on this. After all, that's their job and I'd wager that this question comes up a lot.