Switching education systems

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

Switching education systems

Postby deepikatravellog » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Hey guys,

I completed my undergraduate degree at an American liberal arts college and had a double major in physics and German studies. I wanted to start a program in Germany because I thought it would help me keep up with my German while progressing with my career in Physics and so applied to graduate schools in Germany. I got accepted with a scholarship and recently started a graduate program in Germany and am beginning to realize that there is a tremendous amount of stuff that I hadn't previously done in my undergrad degree in America. While trying to make up for that the coursework is also getting a lot harder and it's been a little challenging keeping up. In general, I'm also a slow learner and thinker and that makes me a very bad test taker for this system particularly. I'm afraid that starting a program in Germany might've been a bad idea in the first place and am considering dropping out and taking a gap year before applying to graduate schools in America. Would really like to know your thoughts on this and if you have any advice in general!

Return to “Current Physics Graduate Student Topics”