computational physics

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

tweetie_brid

computational physics

Post by tweetie_brid » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:15 pm

is anyone doing research or thesis in comp physics?

i am thinking about joining a group that does comp physics applied to condensed matter problems such as electronic structure.

most of the code is written in fortran. i know python and c++

DiracMan

Re: computational physics

Post by DiracMan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:36 pm

I work in computational electronic structure. Most (all?) of our mainline code is written in C++. I have always been more comfortable with MATLAB/Python (that's what I learned on), but you eventually pick-up what you need to know to function on the job. Or you at least work-out some kind of work around if you encounter some bit of particularly arcane legacy code. That's been my experience anyway. Not sure if I answered your question.