Listing Affiliations as a Co-Author

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

FigNewtonian

Listing Affiliations as a Co-Author

Post by FigNewtonian » Thu May 15, 2014 5:24 pm

I've spent a lot of time searching around the web for basic rules when it comes to listing affiliations as an author on a paper. All I've been able to discern is that nobody agrees as to what exactly counts as an affiliation. My current situation makes this question for me personally a little harder, so let me ask your opinion:

I graduated with my bachelor's degree three years ago. I have since been working in industry (unrelated to my degree). I am planning on attending graduate school this fall but until that time I am still at my industry job. I am a coauthor for a paper to be published sometime in the near future that used my work from when I was in school in 2010. I am planning on listing my undergraduate institution as an affiliate since that's where I was when the work was done. As for my current affiliation, it seems odd to list my future school since I haven't even set foot on campus yet. Do I consider myself to have no affiliation at this time? (I also assume I don't list my current employer since they have nothing whatsoever to do with this work)

Kind of a boring topic since it's all about me--but maybe there will be some useful information discussed about the definition of past and present affiliations, specifically in the field of physics.

Thank you

TakeruK

Re: Listing Affiliations as a Co-Author

Post by TakeruK » Thu May 15, 2014 10:40 pm

There may be more specific rules based on each publication.

However, in your case, it makes the most sense to list your undergrad school because that's where you were when you did the work for the paper.

Even if this paper was to be published shortly after you start grad school, you would still not list it as your affiliation because they also have nothing to do with this work.