Schools working on Solar instrumentation/Solar Physics

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

Devaraj

Schools working on Solar instrumentation/Solar Physics

Post by Devaraj » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 am

Dear Friends,

I would like to know the schools that are doing research on Solar Physics/Solar Instrumentaion.
I understand that there are few famous ones like Montana State and New Mexico state.
But, it will be very helpful if i could get the good idea of most of the Schools that can offer PhD in the related field.

Thank you,
Cheers !!

Lavabug

Re: Schools working on Solar instrumentation/Solar Physics

Post by Lavabug » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Devaraj wrote:Dear Friends,

I would like to know the schools that are doing research on Solar Physics/Solar Instrumentaion.
I understand that there are few famous ones like Montana State and New Mexico state.
But, it will be very helpful if i could get the good idea of most of the Schools that can offer PhD in the related field.

Thank you,
Cheers !!
NJIT has a strong Solar physics/instrumentation research group I think, also check Rutgers.

The Instituto Astrofísico de Canarias (Spain) has one of the bigger Solar physics groups around and if I'm not mistaken, they're the ones who put out the most cited papers in Solar physics. They're also getting the newest generation Solar telescope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwbPRNfPoWg

and their instrumentation lab puts out a lot of stuff that has gone on recent unmanned space missions.

Guy at 2:22 was a prof of mine. :P