solutions manuals in grad school

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

tweetie_brid

solutions manuals in grad school

Post by tweetie_brid » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Just curious, I havent started grad school yet. But I know in my undergrad days, and studying for the PGRE I love solutions manuals.

Do many authors write solutions manuals for grad level classes, or should I prepare to ask the profs for alot of help with problem sets.

midwestphysics

Re: solutions manuals in grad school

Post by midwestphysics » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:09 pm

tweetie_brid wrote:Just curious, I havent started grad school yet. But I know in my undergrad days, and studying for the PGRE I love solutions manuals.

Do many authors write solutions manuals for grad level classes
You might have luck in some of the more general grad level classes. However, there are two issues that could block that even so. Some specialized classes I've had didn't have one singular book really, if anything it was a collection of pieces here and there from references. Secondly, weather or not there is a book doesn't mean the problem sets will come from them. I'd say, at least for me as I can't speak for others, a lot of the problem sets my profs have assembled are from who knows where, probably their own knowledge, but definitely not a book I know. So keep in mind you may not even have traditional problems from a book..... As for.....
tweetie_brid wrote:or should I prepare to ask the profs for alot of help with problem sets.

:lol: Thanks for the good laugh.... Not that they're not helpful, but in general don't expect a lot of anything except long days and nights.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:33 pm

midwestphysics wrote:
tweetie_brid wrote:Just curious, I havent started grad school yet. But I know in my undergrad days, and studying for the PGRE I love solutions manuals.

Do many authors write solutions manuals for grad level classes
You might have luck in some of the more general grad level classes. However, there are two issues that could block that even so. Some specialized classes I've had didn't have one singular book really, if anything it was a collection of pieces here and there from references. Secondly, weather or not there is a book doesn't mean the problem sets will come from them. I'd say, at least for me as I can't speak for others, a lot of the problem sets my profs have assembled are from who knows where, probably their own knowledge, but definitely not a book I know. So keep in mind you may not even have traditional problems from a book..... As for.....
tweetie_brid wrote:or should I prepare to ask the profs for alot of help with problem sets.

:lol: Thanks for the good laugh.... Not that they're not helpful, but in general don't expect a lot of anything except long days and nights.
You'll have to make do with learning to work with others to figure out problems, and hopefully getting solutions after the fact (I do for about 50% of my classes).

gracebland

Post by gracebland » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:11 am

Hi friend,
I think you'll have to co-operate with others to learn problems and to find the solution. Be confident enough to face the problems :)

blighter

Post by blighter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:06 am

YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND BUDDY!

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:27 am

blighter wrote:YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND BUDDY!
YOU ARE NOT MY BUDDY, GUY! :D

blighter

Post by blighter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 am

YOU'RE NOT MY GUY, FRIEND! :D