solutions manuals in grad school

  • As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

tweetie_brid
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 pm

solutions manuals in grad school

Postby tweetie_brid » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Just curious, I havent started grad school yet. But I know in my undergrad days, and studying for the PGRE I love solutions manuals.

Do many authors write solutions manuals for grad level classes, or should I prepare to ask the profs for alot of help with problem sets.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: solutions manuals in grad school

Postby midwestphysics » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:09 pm

tweetie_brid wrote:Just curious, I havent started grad school yet. But I know in my undergrad days, and studying for the PGRE I love solutions manuals.

Do many authors write solutions manuals for grad level classes


You might have luck in some of the more general grad level classes. However, there are two issues that could block that even so. Some specialized classes I've had didn't have one singular book really, if anything it was a collection of pieces here and there from references. Secondly, weather or not there is a book doesn't mean the problem sets will come from them. I'd say, at least for me as I can't speak for others, a lot of the problem sets my profs have assembled are from who knows where, probably their own knowledge, but definitely not a book I know. So keep in mind you may not even have traditional problems from a book..... As for.....
tweetie_brid wrote:or should I prepare to ask the profs for alot of help with problem sets.


:lol: Thanks for the good laugh.... Not that they're not helpful, but in general don't expect a lot of anything except long days and nights.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: solutions manuals in grad school

Postby bfollinprm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:33 pm

midwestphysics wrote:
tweetie_brid wrote:Just curious, I havent started grad school yet. But I know in my undergrad days, and studying for the PGRE I love solutions manuals.

Do many authors write solutions manuals for grad level classes


You might have luck in some of the more general grad level classes. However, there are two issues that could block that even so. Some specialized classes I've had didn't have one singular book really, if anything it was a collection of pieces here and there from references. Secondly, weather or not there is a book doesn't mean the problem sets will come from them. I'd say, at least for me as I can't speak for others, a lot of the problem sets my profs have assembled are from who knows where, probably their own knowledge, but definitely not a book I know. So keep in mind you may not even have traditional problems from a book..... As for.....
tweetie_brid wrote:or should I prepare to ask the profs for alot of help with problem sets.


:lol: Thanks for the good laugh.... Not that they're not helpful, but in general don't expect a lot of anything except long days and nights.


You'll have to make do with learning to work with others to figure out problems, and hopefully getting solutions after the fact (I do for about 50% of my classes).

gracebland
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:37 am

Re: solutions manuals in grad school

Postby gracebland » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:11 am

Hi friend,
I think you'll have to co-operate with others to learn problems and to find the solution. Be confident enough to face the problems :)

blighter
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: solutions manuals in grad school

Postby blighter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:06 am

YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND BUDDY!

blackcat007
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 am

Re: solutions manuals in grad school

Postby blackcat007 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:27 am

blighter wrote:YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND BUDDY!


YOU ARE NOT MY BUDDY, GUY! :D

blighter
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: solutions manuals in grad school

Postby blighter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 am

YOU'RE NOT MY GUY, FRIEND! :D




Return to “Current Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest