Accepting job offer after getting Masters vs looking for PhD

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

FNR

Accepting job offer after getting Masters vs looking for PhD

Post by FNR » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:57 am

I'm initially doing PhD programs in Science Education, but because of funding problems, the department decided to let go a couple of students. I was unfortunate as the department has decided to stop funding my PhD. :cry:

Not all was lost, though. I'm now doing Master in Physics, and almost done with the thesis. And the department has calculated that I'm also qualified for another Master in Science Ed, if I take a couple more courses. I also already got a job offer to teach in a university (but outside the States) once I earn my double Masters.

Now, I'm a bit confused. My plan is actually to get my PhD and find a job as professor, but now it seems like Masters degree are the highest I could get for now. I'm thinking that I could try applying for new grad schools once I got my Masters, but my experiences with all this funding situation has made me a bit uneasy, as I'm afraid that even at the new places they could easily take away my funding. The last time I check, this country is still having financial crisis, and it surely has affected academia as well. I am lucky that I've got a job offer as physics lecturer (outside the States) already while still doing my thesis, but this is actually not what I'm planning to do....

If you're in my situation, what will you do? Will you take the job offer and leave the States once you earn you Master? Or will you start applying for new grad school after you got your Masters? :?

bfollinprm

Re: Accepting job offer after getting Masters vs looking for PhD

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 am

I think losing your funding for anything other than (a) academic probation or (b) taking 8 years to graduate are pretty uncommon in the US. Going for a PhD at another institution is probably safe, but if you aren't in it for the research I don't see the point; you already have a job offer (and if you're pursuing physics education, it sounds like teaching is your primary interest anyway, though correct me if I'm wrong).

FNR

Post by FNR » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:46 am

bfollinprm wrote:I think losing your funding for anything other than (a) academic probation or (b) taking 8 years to graduate are pretty uncommon in the US. Going for a PhD at another institution is probably safe, but if you aren't in it for the research I don't see the point; you already have a job offer (and if you're pursuing physics education, it sounds like teaching is your primary interest anyway, though correct me if I'm wrong).
Ah, actually I want to form my own research group someday, but I also enjoy teaching myself. Maybe I could accept the job offer first, earn some teaching experiences overseas and apply for grad school later? The problem is the funding here, I really don't want to get any loan to pay my graduate studies... seems not worth it. :(

waleed444

Post by waleed444 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 am

Taking 8 years to graduate are pretty uncommon in the US. Going for a PhD at another institution is probably safe, but if you aren't in it for the research I don't see the point; you already have a job offer (and if you're pursuing physics education, it sounds like teaching is your primary interest anyway, though correct me if I'm wrong).