Transfer programs and don't mention old one

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

trivialsolution

Transfer programs and don't mention old one

Post by trivialsolution » Sun May 28, 2017 1:42 am

If I were to start a masters/Phd program and only take a class or two then decided I want to try to apply for a different program could I simply leave off the fact that I attended the first program? The only downside I currently see is losing credits for those initial classes. I ask because every time I hear/read about transferring it seems like a bad idea unless the student has what is deemed an "acceptable" reason.

bfollinprm

Re: Transfer programs and don't mention old one

Post by bfollinprm » Wed May 31, 2017 2:01 pm

If they find out you left it out it could be grounds for rescinding your admissions offer. If I were in their shoes I would, because having a student leave after a semester is a headache. If someone does it once they could do it again.