APS Abstract submission

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

doom

APS Abstract submission

Post by doom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Anybody have any experience with submitting abstracts after the meeting deadline?

What if it was *just* after the deadline? (Less than 10 minutes)

Hoping I didn't screw myself out of a chance to attend the April meeting for no good reason. :evil:

YodaT

Re: APS Abstract submission

Post by YodaT » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Should've planned ahead :roll:

I just strolled out of my quantum course to the student union computers to submit it... took 10 minutes. You are an APS member, right? No use in bothering if you're not already.

doom

Post by doom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Yeah, I'm an APS member, and I got it in, just at 5:08 EST, instead of 5:00 EST.

Was waiting for my advisor to approve my abstract, then I went ahead and submitted anyway.

YodaT

Post by YodaT » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 pm

They might accept it... not sure how they do their thing. Since the panel doesn't start reviewing these abstracts until weeks from now they may have an accepting deadline extending beyond 5 pm. I doubt they start sorting the material at 5 pm on a Friday. Then again it may all be an online sorting method. Did you get a confirmation email? It's a generic email that reads as follows:

"Dear Contributor,

This email provides you a copy of the abstract that was submitted for
your records. This is not a confirmation that your abstract has been
accepted. Abstracts that meet our guidelines will be placed in the
program at a sorters meeting. You will receive notification with
details of the placement of your abstract in the program at a later
date."