Any former PSI students?

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

dinkazavr

Any former PSI students?

Post by dinkazavr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:25 am

So I just got into the PSI program, and the website does a great job of describing the academics (which sound awesome), but I have concerns about going there of a more human nature, such as:

Do you have any time to sleep?
It says they provide food, so do you eat at some cafeteria every day? What is the food like?
Is there any free time at all, like to exercise or something?
Do you get your own room?
Does anyone ever talk about anything except physics?

May seem silly, but these things are important to me. So if anyone has done the program, or knows anyone who has, I would be super grateful if you could give me some info about your experience. Thanks!

tumu90

Re: Any former PSI students?

Post by tumu90 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Question is still valid for me. Anyone? May be dinkazavr can answer it now :)

actrask

Post by actrask » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:07 am

tumu90 wrote:Question is still valid for me. Anyone? May be dinkazavr can answer it now :)
Did you hear from PSI?

email/snail mail? when?

Lavabug

Post by Lavabug » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:12 pm

This thread peaked my interest, so I emailed the admissions office last week. They replied they might still look at applications if they're sent very quickly (the deadline was in Feb). I asked my advisor about PSI today and one of his former students is currently there but I don't know him. But he said it's way harder to get in than a typical phd program, and his former students are all really high profile so I don't think it was an exaggeration.

Seems like the best thing one can do before a phd though, judging from their video interviews with grad students and their webpage, it looks like good coursework + no pressure of grades (all courses are pass/fail) + funding.

actrask

Post by actrask » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Lavabug wrote:This thread peaked my interest, so I emailed the admissions office last week. They replied they might still look at applications if they're sent very quickly (the deadline was in Feb). I asked my advisor about PSI today and one of his former students is currently there but I don't know him. But he said it's way harder to get in than a typical phd program, and his former students are all really high profile so I don't think it was an exaggeration.

Seems like the best thing one can do before a phd though, judging from their video interviews with grad students and their webpage, it looks like good coursework + no pressure of grades (all courses are pass/fail) + funding.
It's pretty competitive as they fully fund everyone, generally get around 300 applications for a class of 30-40. I spoke to someone on the faculty there about my chances and was informed that I had a chance of getting in, but certainly wasn't guaranteed. It appears on gradcafe that the first round offers have already been sent out, and I haven't received one so I guess I'll just wait and see.

Did you apply in the end, Lavabug?