About the Physics Courses to take

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

FNR

About the Physics Courses to take

Post by FNR » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi guys,

I wonder if anybody has this kind of dilemma before. As I am taking double degree in Physics and Science Education now, I am kinda confused abut my study plan for the next year or two. For the Physics, I just intend to pursue a Master degree. My PhD will not be in Physics, but in Science Education.

Will it be such a good idea to take all the Physics graduate courses initially, and later take the Science Education graduate courses? Or will it be better to take both courses in the same time?

For example, I could take 7 credits this semester. I could take Electromagnetism and Quantum Mechanics in the same time OR just take Electromagnetism and an education course like 'Models of Learning and Teaching'.

I am thinking that taking just one Physics course every one semester will greatly reduce the course load, but in the end I will earn both my Master and PhD in the same time (after 5-6 years). However, if I did all the Physics courses first (which is rather tough for me. In fact, I didn't do that well for my GRE Physics), I could earn my Master degree in about two years, and then for the next 3-4 years I will just focus on Science Education PhD courses. Hmmm....

If any Physics student here also ever faced the same dilemma, I would be pleased if you could share me your experience and suggestion here. :|