Grant's PhysicsGRE.com Blog

• The Physics Web Log forum behaves exactly like the regular forums except posts are sorted in reverse chronological order and also the originator of the blog is the only person who can post entries.
  • Prospective graduate students, current graduate students, post docs, professors, and even physics graduates working in industry encouraged to start a blog.

Grant
site admin

Grant's PhysicsGRE.com Blog

Post by Grant » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:10 pm

About the Webmaster of PhysicsGRE.com

Hello and Welcome,

I constructed PhysicsGRE.com in 2003 for the purpose of helping students prepare for the Physics GRE Subject Test. It is a manifestation of the enjoyment I receive from learning the fundamentals of physics and sharing this knowledge with others.

My most important credentials for being the webmaster of this site are that I enjoy physics, and I am receptive to feedback from members of our physics community. Additionally, I earned a Masters degree in Physics from the University of California at Santa Cruz and a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California at Irvine. While pursuing these degrees I had the opportunity to be a teaching assistant for numerous university courses that covered the fundamentals of physics.

Since graduation, I have been actively involved in various aspects of the Internet and continue to pursue the many opportunities available. I am excited about PhysicsGRE.com because it allows me to draw from many of my experiences in a personally fulfilling manner that stimulates my mind and also benefits students interested in physics. I can't find a more enjoyable hobby than engaging the fundamentals of physics and sharing my findings with others.

Sincerely,
Grant Winker

Grant
site admin

PhysicsGRE.com Philosophy on the Physics GRE

PhysicsGRE.com Philosophy on the Physics GRE

The GRE physics subject exam tests specific, yet broad, subject matter under timed conditions. Naturally, one would expect that comprehensive preparation and practice would significantly improve ones score on the exam. This is the premise on which PhysicsGRE.com is based.

In all likelihood, the Physics GRE will be the single most important physics test you will take during your undergraduate years. The physics GRE is a major factor used by graduate schools to determine admissions and financial aid packages. Perhaps I am overstating the importance of the Physics GRE, but I feel that underestimating its importance would be a far greater disservice.

PhysicsGRE.com's objective is to help students properly prepare for the Physics GRE Subject Test. We strive to accomplish this in a number of ways. First we want to create concise, highly relevant content specific to Physics GRE preparation. Second, we provide links and references to other valuable Physics GRE resources and information. Third, we seek feedback and suggestions from all members of our physics community. Input from students, teachers, and others with a passion for physics can help this site to become an increasingly more valuable tool for students preparing to take the physics GRE. Your input can also help to serve our secondary, yet more important purpose of helping students to better understand the fundamentals of physics.

Even though PhysicsGRE.com strives to be an excellent resource, it is not intended to be a substitute for additional advice one can receive from professors, teaching assistants, peers, special classes, and the Internet. It is strongly recommended that you utilize these additional resources available to you and hopefully you will find it fulfilling to share useful advice with other students by utilizing the Physics GRE forums.

This website will be viewed as a success when people feel confident about recommending PhysicsGRE.com to students who are preparing for the Physics GRE Subject Test.

Feedback from the physics community is greatly appreciated and will be reviewed by the PhysicsGRE.com webmaster.

Grant
site admin

Ways you can contribute to PhysicsGRE.com

Ways you can contribute to PhysicsGRE.com

Grant
site admin

Forum Software Upgrade

Post by Grant » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:00 pm

Forum Software Upgrade

Today I converted PhysicsGRE.com over to the new phpBB3 forum software. Please contact me to report any issues.

Grant
site admin

Physics Applicant Profiles and Application Results

Post by Grant » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:41 am

Physics Applicant Profiles and Application Results

Today I rolled out a new feature that enables users to input their applicant profile and application results information via their "user control panel" by editing their "profile".
results.php

I imagine it will grow and develop into a valuable resource to help students better understand what specific graduate schools look for in applicants.

Note: Over the past year or so this concept has been kicked around here and there by various posters. The thread that inspired me that I had to create something like this was the 2008 Physics Applicant Profiles & Admission Results thread.