Scientists under the 45th president's administration

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

AlexisPrel

Scientists under the 45th president's administration

Postby AlexisPrel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi all,

Like many of you I am an international applicant to some US PhD Programs. And like many of you, I am following with a lot of attention the first steps of the new government of USA.

Please, this post is NOT meant to raise a political debate about what your opinion on this government are. Rather, I think it's worth asking ourselves how it could affect our life as scientists, and possibly weither we should do something about it.

In my personal case, I intend to work in energy applications research, which is largely funded by national agencies in the US, I wonder how this may change but found very little clue regarding this. In a general context of budget restriction and a campaign targetting specifically non-educated voters (his words, not mine) I expect fundamental research funding to be reduced too.

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone has info on what is likely to happen?

Return to “Physics Lounge”