Expressing gratitude to a research professor and mentor

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Expressing gratitude to a research professor and mentor

Postby Examined » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi all. I am looking for ideas of ways in which I can show my appreciation and gratitude toward my research professor and mentor.

Some background: I am a graduating senior and have worked under a particular professor for all 4 years of my undergrad. This man is a saint. Over the years he has given me numerous research opportunities and an endless supply of his personal time and attention. In short, this man has helped me more than anyone in my entire life, with the exception of my parents. And he really didn't need to.

I don't think a written letter by itself will suffice. Does anyone have a suggestion for another way that I can express my gratitude? In addition to a personal gesture, I'd also like to see that his efforts are recognized by others. He doesn't yet have tenure, so I was thinking that perhaps I could arrange meetings with the relevant faculty of my university and communicate to them just how much this man has done for me.

Let me know what you think.

Return to “Physics Lounge”