Any reason why the other GRE subject test forums are dead?

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Catria

Any reason why the other GRE subject test forums are dead?

Post by Catria » Tue May 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Per gre-subject-tests.com all forums pertaining to GRE subject tests, other than physics and mathematics, are now defunct. These boards served a similar purpose to this one.

So I wonder why the biology GRE boards, for example, died out... Computer science has an excuse, however: the test was discontinued.

Grant
site admin

Re: Any reason why the other GRE subject test forums are dead?

Post by Grant » Wed May 21, 2014 9:25 am

Catria wrote:Per gre-subject-tests.com all forums pertaining to GRE subject tests, other than physics and mathematics, are now defunct. These boards served a similar purpose to this one.

So I wonder why the biology GRE boards, for example, died out... Computer science has an excuse, however: the test was discontinued.
I don't think of those other subject test forums as dying out, but rather that they never really took hold. A brief history is that PhysicsGRE.com was here first and then on PhysicsGRE.com I built a page to help people with the mathematics GRE. I noticed a lot of people visiting that page and thought the mathematics GRE people might benefit from a forum like what we have here, and I also thought other GRE subject test people might benefit from a forum as well so I put together gre-subject-tests.com. What ended up happening was the only active forum was the mathematics GRE forum (probably because the page on PhysicsGRE.com attracted a lot mathematics GRE people) and so I eventually created MathematicsGRE.com as the mathematics people became quite active and I thought they could benefit from their own forum. I then decided to abandon the less active forums for the other subject test disciplines as those other forums involved a lot of me battling spam without any real people posting. I preserved what was discussed on gre-subject-tests.com in case the old information that was posted was helpful to anyone. I'm sure people in those other GRE subject test disciplines have the potential to help each other out like PhysicsGRE.com and MathematicsGRE.com people do, but my efforts were not enough to start the discussion snowball rolling with those other subject tests. I haven't looked into it, but by now those other subject test disciplines probably have discussions taking place somewhere else on the Internet. I hope this help make sense of why things are the way they are with PhysicsGRE.com, MathematicsGRE.com, and gre-subject-tests.com.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 pm

Cool, that's a nice history lesson! :D

tweetie_brid

Post by tweetie_brid » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:33 pm

they cancelled the comp sci gre exam