If you didn't do physics, what would you have done?

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Catria

If you didn't do physics, what would you have done?

Post by Catria » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:42 am

Let's say that, for some reason, you decided to give up on physics early enough in your lives not to take the PGRE (but, perhaps, not early enough to give up on undergrad).

What alternate career paths did you consider before setting your heart on physics?

mrfotih

Re: If you didn't do physics, what would you have done?

Post by mrfotih » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:42 am

If I did not do physics, I would have made hell lot of money!

r4ve

Post by r4ve » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:40 am

you could still do that after a physics phd haha. i think there are a decent number of physics phds that go into quant jobs in finance after getting their degree

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:28 pm

I am still considering alternate career paths. Basically, all I really want to do is to take data and then use computers to analyse it and solve a particular problem. I don't need the data or the problem to be physics, or even scientifically motivated for it to interest me. So with my PhD, I will apply for the academic positions as well as try to market my ability to problem solve / analyse data for work outside of academia.