Does this equation mean anything to you?

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Izaac

Does this equation mean anything to you?

Post by Izaac » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:25 pm

$$A(t)=e^{+iHt/\hbar}Ae^{-iHt/\hbar}$$

Srednicki begins his textbook on QFT by a handful of equations ("In order to prepare for QFT, you should recognize these:"). All of them I grasp but that one.
Obviously it smells like QM, but I've never seen that exact equation, whatever the A and H mean. Anyway it seems to reduce to just $$A(t)=A$$, which is even more confusing.
So, anyone recognize something familiar in that equation? Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm pretty sure the answer is so simple as to mark me "noobie" up to the thousand and first generation...

actrask

Re: Does this equation mean anything to you?

Post by actrask » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenberg_picture

You should probably brush up on QM and Classical Mechanics before starting in on QFT. A is just a general operator, H is the Hamiltonian. It does not necessarily reduce to A(t) = A if A does not commute with H.

Izaac

Post by Izaac » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:39 am

Oh! Thanks, now I see. Amusingly, it was discretely mentioned in the book I'm using (Griffiths) on a smallish note bottom of page, without much development.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm

$$A = A(0)$$

Then

$$A(t)|{\phi}> = e^{iHt}Ae^{-iHt}|\phi>$$

means (from right to left), in the Schrodinger picture you probably learned,

1. Devolve $$|\phi>$$ to its state at time $$t = 0$$

2. Evaluate $$A$$ acting on $$|\phi>$$ there.

3. Evolve $$|\phi>$$ back to $$t = t$$. This should be the same as $$A(t)|\phi>$$

This is only trivial if $$A$$ is time-translation invariant (e.g. is the same for all time).