The Grand Unified Generic Question Thread

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

quizivex

The Grand Unified Generic Question Thread

Post by quizivex » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:56 pm

We've tried for years to encourage users to do some of their own research first by searching the forums, scanning thread titles and using google, before posting new threads. The mods even created a detailed review post about GRE prep and put "see this before posting" stickys at the top of each subforum. But nothing has been able to stop trolls (mostly from a certain South Asian country) from littering the forum with garbage threads like "What is on the physics GRE?"

This has motivated the development of the Grand Unified Generic Question Thread. All new threads with questions like the following will be moved and merged into the grand unified thread:
- How do I apply to grad school?
-What is on the physics GRE?
-How do I switch my career to physics?
- My GPA is X, where can I get in?
-Pleeez help!

This should help reduce the amount of clutter, make the thread lists more browse-able and keep the good threads from getting bumped down.

aditya23456

Selection of universities based on my profile.Plzz help

Post by aditya23456 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:49 pm

I m from India and I would like to know colleges which meet my profile in Electrical Engineering at USA.Anyone please help-
I ve a GRE score of 324
My current CGPA is 7 studying in NITW(which is in top 15 engineering colleges in India)
I got 87.83 in 10th , 92.4 in 12th
I ve got a international research paper.Can I get in any top 50 universities?plzz mention me names of them If I can
Really thanks for helping me out.
Last edited by aditya23456 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyQuark

Re: Selection of universities based on my profile.Plzz help

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:16 pm

aditya23456 wrote:I m from India and I would like to know colleges which meet my profile in Electrical Engineering at USA.Anyone please help-
I ve a GRE score of 324
My current CGPA is 7 studying in NITW(which is in top 15 engineering colleges in India)
I ve got a international research paper.Can I get in any top 50 universities?plzz mention me names of them If I can
Go away and don't come back until you've done some research on your own.

You're welcome!

aditya23456

Re: Selection of universities based on my profile.Plzz help

Post by aditya23456 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:21 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
aditya23456 wrote:I m from India and I would like to know colleges which meet my profile in Electrical Engineering at USA.Anyone please help-
I ve a GRE score of 324
Go away and don't come back until you've done some research on your own.

You're welcome!
Well...As per my research I think following are ambitious for my profile,So can u just sort out which is more likely for my profile---

The University of Akron (A)
University of California - Riverside (A)
University of Cincinnati (A)
University of Colorado at Boulder (A)
State University of New York at Buffalo (A)
The Pennsylvania State University, (A )
Villanova University (A)
Drexel University (A)
--And is there any chance for me to get into any better institute than these?
Thanks for ur reply

quizivex

Re: The Grand Unified Generic Question Thread

Post by quizivex » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:01 pm

@aditya23456

You are unlikely to get a helpful answer to your question on PhysicsGRE.com. This forum is for students applying to physics PhD programs, not electrical engineering. Also, evaluating someone's chances at a list of schools with a rather limited amount of information cannot be done accurately.

Devaraj

Help for Preparation in a short time

Post by Devaraj » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:32 am

Hello Friends

I would like to write GRE physics in Novemeber, but its already End of August now. I have done my bachelors in electronics Engineering hence having only a reasonable knowledge in physics . Is it possible to prepare well and score good if i start everything now.

P-representation

Re: Help for Preparation in a short time

Post by P-representation » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Yup, three months is more than enough. Physics GRE just requires a fair amount of quantum mechanics and some basic electrodynamics. Rest of it is just simple high school physics plus some facts to be memorized.

nischal33

Please help me in school selection...plzzzzzzzz

Post by nischal33 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:20 am

B.Sc. (Physics) ---- 76%; a 3-year bachelor degree
M.Sc.(phy)---------70%
GRE----------------1400 (verbal:640 quant: 760)
TOEFL--------------104
no physics GRE
research experience: though no substantial experience, submitted a thesis on computational physics. I performed an ab initio calculation of vibrational & electronics properties of small silver clusters. I know basics of computational techniques.

Besides, I have been working as assistant lecturer of physics at an engineering college for a year now.

I want to pursue a PhD degree in either condensed matter physics or medical physics. But first i want to do an MS

What type of universities shall I apply for coming fall 2013 so that acceptance chance will be better and equally probable for financial aid? Would you please suggest some suitable colleges?

Thank you

kangaroo

Re: Please help me in school selection...plzzzzzzzz

Post by kangaroo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Oh, yet another one. :roll:

nischal33

any medical physics department suggestions...!!!!!!

Post by nischal33 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:02 pm

After completion of my M.Sc. in physics, I want to pursue a doctorate degree in medical physics.
B.Sc. 76%
M.Sc. 70%
GRE 1400 (verbal: 640; Quant: 760)
TOEFL 104
No PGRE

Will you please suggest me some universities with good medical physics department?
Does getting into medical physics necessarily requires PGRE?

blighter

Re: any medical physics department suggestions...!!!!!!

Post by blighter » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:05 pm

nischal33 wrote: Will you please suggest me some universities with good medical physics department?
No?

twistor

Post by twistor » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:08 pm

blighter wrote:
nischal33 wrote: Will you please suggest me some universities with good medical physics department?
No?
http://www.bju.edu

abhishekc2q

I want to study engineering Physics,But where?

Post by abhishekc2q » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Dear friends,

I am a 22 year old BS in mechanical engineering student.I want to pursue MS in Engineering Physics in US.

so,i would like to know:-

1) which all schools in US offer MS in engineering Physics ?

2) is gre Physics compulsory ?

I would be highly grateful if you help me out.

Regards,
Abhishek

tweetie_brid

Easy schools to get admitted to

Post by tweetie_brid » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:34 am

Anyone have a list of some good safety schools to apply to Masters or Phd in.

photonic

Re: Easy schools to get admitted to

Post by photonic » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:30 pm

What is considered a safety school depends on your profile. My advice is to look at the profiles posted, go to different grad school websites and look up their admissions statistics. NRC and US World news and report rankings are a good place to start but they don't tell the whole story. Gradschoolshopper.com in particular has some great stats up and information.

medphys

Re: any medical physics department suggestions...!!!!!!

Post by medphys » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 pm

nischal33 wrote:After completion of my M.Sc. in physics, I want to pursue a doctorate degree in medical physics.
B.Sc. 76%
M.Sc. 70%
GRE 1400 (verbal: 640; Quant: 760)
TOEFL 104
No PGRE

Will you please suggest me some universities with good medical physics department?
Does getting into medical physics necessarily requires PGRE?

Hi nischal,

You're background looks pretty good. As for medical physics programs, there are so few of them that it doesn't makes sense to classify them as "top" or "average". Most programs admit less than 5-7 applicants per year. However, if you want to work in the clinic, you have to go to a CAMPEP-accredited program (see http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp). I completed such a program. I don't think it was a great experience, but I am letting you know what you would need to do.

As for the PGRE, most programs do not require it because very little of the actual physics is used in medical physics. Most of the physics and math that you learned will not be used in medical physics. Medical physics is much less quantitative than traditional physics (ie condensed matter, particle, astro, etc.) Most of the medical physics course don't even require calculus.

Hope this helps.

medphys

Re: I want to study engineering Physics,But where?

Post by medphys » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:32 pm

abhishekc2q wrote:Dear friends,

I am a 22 year old BS in mechanical engineering student.I want to pursue MS in Engineering Physics in US.

so,i would like to know:-

1) which all schools in US offer MS in engineering Physics ?

2) is gre Physics compulsory ?

I would be highly grateful if you help me out.

Regards,
Abhishek
Hi Abhishek,

I'm not sure what you mean by "engineering Physics". The programs in the US are very non-standardized in terms of the titles. What one program calls "Engineering Physics", others may call "Applied Physics" or simply "Engineering". Usually, these programs are related to solid state, materials science, electrical engineering, biomedical engineering, or maybe even nuclear engineering. They are not theoretical; they are more "applied". In short, there is a lot of variety (and confusion) over the names. If you have a particular topic in mind, it is best to do a search for programs that have a large research group(s) for that topic. Also, keep in mind that some programs offer only a MS, some offer only a PhD. The only way to get things straightened out is to visit the websites individually and do some research online if possible.

As for the Physics GRE, usually, the only programs that require it are the "traditional" physics programs. Those are usually involved with particle physics, astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter, etc. These are not considered "applied" fields. The "applied" programs usually don't need the Physics GRE.

amaralani

Chance for acceptance

Post by amaralani » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Ladies an gentleman
I wanna know that wheaher I can get acceptance by below personal information in USA.
Q(680) w(300) pgre(980) GPA BS 13.95_20 and Ms 14.81_20 . And 6 internal paper .
Please give me useful information.

sohailaR

April, 2013 Physics GRE candidate anyone?

Post by sohailaR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 pm

April 20, 2013 Physics GRE candidate, anyone?

Thanks.

lundyjb

Could I get into some of my goal schools?

Post by lundyjb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:30 am

deleted
Last edited by lundyjb on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godot

Re: Could I get into some of my goal schools?

Post by Godot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 am

Yes, definitely. Recs and research experience are more important than things like GPA, and it isn't like you have a 2.0 or something. A 3.1 isn't great but it's not going to kill your application by itself, especially if you're not looking at the very top schools.

(I'm not saying you'll get in for sure, just that it is certainly possible).

Sentin3l

Post by Sentin3l » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am

I agree, assuming your stats end up the way you predict, I'd say you have a fair chance of getting accepted there. Don't rely completely on Iowa State though, sometimes it's just happenstance on where you get in and where you don't.

lundyjb

Post by lundyjb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Oh alright. A little follow up question. Would it be good to try and get an REU at the school you would eventually like to attend? I would assume yes because you would be making contacts. Or would they rather you diversify as much as possble?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm

An REU anywhere is good. If you think you really like a place, I'd try for one there, not because it will help you get in, but because it will give you a more complete picture of the program.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:11 pm

lundyjb wrote:Would it be good to try and get an REU at the school you would eventually like to attend?
Two ways of getting a "shoe-in" to graduate programs is:

1. Have a successful REU at the school.

2. Kill a bear on film and send it in your application.

-Riley

lundyjb

Post by lundyjb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:59 am

deleted
Last edited by lundyjb on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blighter

Post by blighter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:41 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
lundyjb wrote:Would it be good to try and get an REU at the school you would eventually like to attend?
Two ways of getting a "shoe-in" to graduate programs is:

1. Have a successful REU at the school.

2. Kill a bear on film and send it in your application.

-Riley
Haven't seen you in a long time!

tuhinaphysics

Can anybody plzz help me ???

Post by tuhinaphysics » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 am

I gave my PGRE twice but still i got 440 . that's very low i know. i had studied from resnik halliday. i dont undrstand where exactly i am going wrong . i think my method of prep is going wrong .... that's y i landed up at this position . Can any one plz guide me and help me as to how shud i proceed step by step . i wud be very greatful to u all.

Sentin3l

Re: Can anybody plzz help me ???

Post by Sentin3l » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 am

Study more than just halliday resnick. There are many books out there that will teach you the material. In addition you might want to try taking some of the sample tests, or finding a comparable test out there to practice on.

dau

Re: Can anybody plzz help me ???

Post by dau » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:43 am

tuhinaphysics wrote:I gave my PGRE twice but still i got 440 . that's very low i know. i had studied from resnik halliday. i dont undrstand where exactly i am going wrong . i think my method of prep is going wrong .... that's y i landed up at this position . Can any one plz guide me and help me as to how shud i proceed step by step . i wud be very greatful to u all.
Go to "Physics GRE Forum" section. You will find a lot of useful information to prepare the PGRE.

As a general advice, I think you should concentrate on the 5 old available tests. These tests plus a sample notebook provide you more than 500 problems that you can study. There are many compilations of solutions to these problems, but not all of them always provide you the fastest solution. If you find a way to solve each of these problems in less than a minute, I am sure you will improve your PGRE score. Also consider that the 2008 test is quite similar to the present test.

tuhinaphysics

Post by tuhinaphysics » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 am

hii Friends !!
Firstly , Thanks a lot for replying me.
last time for 2012 nov exam , i have also practiced once from the sample test papers. Plz tell me apart from resnik halliday , which all other books should i refer for mechanics and other topics also tell me how shud i go step by step for preparation . Plz suggest me... ur suggestion would be immensely valuable for me.

usefuluser

does PGRE is sufficient for getting an admission

Post by usefuluser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 am

hello everyone,

I did B.Sc and M.Sc in Physics from India and I want to go for Masters in Physics.

I am really confused regarding this GRE stuff. Is there a way by which I can get an adission into a grad. school with PGRE only.

I did some research and found that Canadian University accept application without general test.

Does all the universities require GRE general test.

I am asking this because I have no time for general GRE test.

Please guide.

blighter

Re: does PGRE is sufficient for getting an admission

Post by blighter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:09 am

usefuluser wrote:hello everyone,

I did B.Sc and M.Sc in Physics from India and I want to go for Masters in Physics.

I am really confused regarding this GRE stuff. Is there a way by which I can get an adission into a grad. school with PGRE only.

I did some research and found that Canadian University accept application without general test.

Does all the universities require GRE general test.

I am asking this because I have no time for general GRE test.

Please guide.
Yes, PGRE is does sufficient for Canadian schools but even they require TOEFL. You could look into German universities. Many of them offer English language master's programmes in physics.

usefuluser

Post by usefuluser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:35 am

Thanks blighter for replying.

Is it possible to apply without general GRE test in US or UK?

blighter

Post by blighter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 am

usefuluser wrote:Thanks blighter for replying.

Is it possible to apply without general GRE test in US or UK?
There are some schools in the States that don't require GRE. You can look here.
http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/gradsc ... ?q=3&cid=3

In UK you don't need GRE anyway, I believe.

Have you taken TOEFL already? Because all schools in US/Canada most definitely require TOEFL.

When are you applying for grad school? 2014 fall?

usefuluser

Post by usefuluser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 am

Yes. I am aiming for FALL 2014.

I will write TOEFL, in the coming month end.Actually it expired as I gave it in 2011.I scored 104/120 at that time.

blighter

Post by blighter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:20 am

usefuluser wrote:Yes. I am aiming for FALL 2014.

I will write TOEFL, in the coming month end.Actually it expired as I gave it in 2011.I scored 104/120 at that time.
If you're indeed applying for fall 2014, I don't understand why you say you haven't got time for taking GRE.

confucius

GRE confusion

Post by confucius » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:04 am

Hi,
I am from India and I've completed my graduation in Computer science. Is it possible to apply for an MS degree in Physics now and if so, is there a realistic chance of getting through any college ranked in the top percentile in the country? Please guide me

tweetie_brid

October 19th pGRE

Post by tweetie_brid » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Hello,

I hate they dont have a november date this year.

Do you think it is enough time to prepare from Sept 1 2013 till October 19th if I study now

Eigenstaytes

Re: October 19th pGRE

Post by Eigenstaytes » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 pm

tweetie_brid wrote:Hello,

I hate they dont have a november date this year.

Do you think it is enough time to prepare from Sept 1 2013 till October 19th if I study now
I'm in the same boat. I believe so. I'm putting in at least 4 hours a day so I should be ready come October 19th.

drs2872

any chances of getting admit....?

Post by drs2872 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:15 pm

hi....I m from India & seeking to pursue Ph.D fm US. I m in a big dilemma whether there is any chance of getting admit and looking for ur opinion over this...
My profile is
10th - 65%
12th - 61%
B.Sc.- 52% :(
M.Sc.- 63%
GRE - 303 (148/155/3)
PGRE- yet to give
TOEFL- yet to give
Experience-
Teaching experience of 4.5 yrs in a degree college.
Research experience of 1.5 years
presented 2 papers & 1 poster at national conference & one poster at international conference.

Is there any chance of getting admit ???

Ruskin

Admission in graduate physics program

Post by Ruskin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:59 pm

I am currently pursuing my undergraduate degree in electronics and communication engineering.
Is it possible for me to get admission in graduate physics program just on the basis of GRE physics GRE general and TOEFL

kangaroo

Re: Admission in graduate physics program

Post by kangaroo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Do you like to do research?