Studying physics after economics?

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

ejs910

Studying physics after economics?

Post by ejs910 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 am

I got my BA in Econ from an Ivy (HYP), but I think I might like to study advanced physics (eventually do a PhD). How would I go about this? Do I have to get a BS in Physics? If so, do I just complete the major requirements at a local school or something? Could I just study the material of undergraduate physics on my own, take the GRE, and apply? Thanks for your help!

negru

Having sex after fapping?

Post by negru » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:31 am

You'd probably need an actual physics degree for most schools

bfollinprm

Re: Studying physics after economics?

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:11 pm

If you got a high score on the PGRE, and explained in your SOP your rigorous treatment of texts like Goldstein's Classical Mechanics, Jackson's Electrodynamics, and Sakurai's Quantum Mechanics, as well as your knowledge of differential equation techniques like Green functions, spectral decomposition, and advanced linear algebra techniques (an undergrad course in linear algebra and PDE's would suffice), you have a shot of getting in without a BS in physics. However, I think getting the BS would be easier than the amount of self-study that would require, and yes, you can just get it at some "local" school, it's not likely to matter much.