PhysicsGRE.com Trivia Question

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

quizivex

PhysicsGRE.com Trivia Question

Post by quizivex » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Today is the anniversary of a very special event in this forum's history. Anyone know what it is?

(Please don't answer if you're an old timer like grae, twistor and me who was around for this event... I'm curious whether any of the newbies ever look back at some of the old threads and would know the answer... :mrgreen: )

satyad18

Re: PhysicsGRE.com Trivia Question

Post by satyad18 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Out of 29165 posts from 2767 topics(and counting), how do you expect us to search this forum?? How about passing on some clues so that we can narrow down our search? 8)

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:47 pm

I'd take a random jab that it has something to do with this "Garden" character.

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:53 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:I'd take a random jab that it has something to do with this "Garden" character.

-Riley
Damn, you beat me to it. If I recall, Dec 04 marks the date of the first coming of garden

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=50

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:24 am

Yep, awesome work guys! The coming of garden was not just something silly, it was truly a turning point in the history of the forum. Before 12/4/07, the forum was business only... very few regular users, very little humor, very little camaraderie... all posts were questions, answers, opinions or rants about apps/PGRE/recs etc...

But garden's epic cryptic post incited so much interest, debate, joking and laughing in the following days that people began becoming more social and friendly on the forum. Formality diminished. Do a forum search for the F-word. You'll find it was only used ONCE before garden came... a whole year earlier...

But after garden's classic line "*** off the school with damn committee" and all the discussion of that phrase that followed, the F-word was here to stay. It was used countless times in the days and months afterward. Humor, sarcasm and sometimes vulgarity took over the forum, spurred by hall of fame posters such as RG (who canceled his account due to frustration over the haterzz and is now known as cancelled20080417), twistor (called "twator" by physicsdude), grae313, dlenmn and myself... bitter feuds broke out over political correctness (often instigated by doom, zxcv, 400nm and physicsdude aka "physicsdouche") and the censorship movement took over (that's when the **** swear word filter started). 2007-08 became by far the most active admissions season, in terms of posts per month, in forum history.

We had been begging garden to come back and enlighten us about the meaning of his post, but all in vain, until months later he mysteriously appeared again with more cryptic posts, reigniting the garden obsession among the regular users. We had so much fun on the forum that year that some of us are still here as grad students :D

garden's name has been referenced 195 times and he currently leads all users in "physics weight". (Note his name should NOT be capitalized, even at the beginning of a sentence. That was also a topic of debate.)
grae313 wrote:I sense that garden worship is splitting into two great sects. The ones who believe it should be Garden, and the others who believe it should be garden.
Ah that was so moving to write... sadly the forum has calmed down since then, but maybe garden will come back again, when we least expect it.

laser

Post by laser » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:09 am

That is so epic and beautiful. I will now proceed with crying, having realized the humbling truth of the existence of garden.
:cry:

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:50 pm

laser wrote:That is so epic and beautiful. I will now proceed with crying, having realized the humbling truth of the existence of garden.
:cry:
garden touches us all.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:08 pm

grae313 wrote:garden touches us all.
I'm feeling violated.

-Riley

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
I'm feeling violated.

-Riley
You need to relax and let garden touch you in places you've never been touched before.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:34 pm

grae313 wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:
I'm feeling violated.

-Riley
You need to relax and let garden touch you in places you've never been touched before.
That line doesn't work on Riley, trust me I've tried.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 am

HappyQuark wrote: That line doesn't work on Riley, trust me I've tried.
Damnit, there is a reason why they are called PMs.

-Riley

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
grae313 wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote: I'm feeling violated.

-Riley
That line doesn't work on Riley, trust me I've tried.
Well, there's always roofies.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

grae313 wrote:Well, there's always roofies.
HappyQuark, do you feel safe applying and possibly attending Cornell with her talking like this? =X

-Riley

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Once the Stockholm syndrome sets in you'll come to love it here :wink:

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:25 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
grae313 wrote:Well, there's always roofies.
HappyQuark, do you feel safe applying and possibly attending Cornell with her talking like this? =X

-Riley
Are you kidding? Who in the world could pass up free roofies? Cornell, here I come!

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:22 pm

HappyQuark wrote: Are you kidding? Who in the world could pass up free roofies? Cornell, here I come!
Man, I don't know though. Can Cornell handle both of us at the same time? We'd tear that place up!

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:09 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote: Are you kidding? Who in the world could pass up free roofies? Cornell, here I come!
Man, I don't know though. Can Cornell handle both of us at the same time? We'd tear that place up!

-Riley
I live my life by a philosophy which I feel should be a satisfactory response to this question. As a great man once said, "You better check yo self before you wreck yo self"

blighter

Post by blighter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:36 pm

This post makes me sad about how dull this place has become.