All about music.

  • Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:39 am

guthria wrote:But dont you think that the Backstreet Boys (atleast some of the time) sound like Brittney Spears sounds (all of the time)- constipated?

What have you written? Structurally and grammatically that is incorrect.
That's you turd who sounds like that, when you frequently get constipation and starts to sing an English number from Backstreet Boys or Spears.

Don't you have a mirror in your bath room so that when you sing with you constipated stomach you can really see that it's YOU not BSB.

Take care.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 am

sphy wrote:
guthria wrote:But dont you think that the Backstreet Boys (atleast some of the time) sound like Brittney Spears sounds (all of the time)- constipated?

What have you written? Structurally and grammatically that is incorrect.
Take care.

sphy wrote:Don't you have a mirror in your bath room so that when you sing with you constipated stomach you can really see that it's YOU not BSB.

:lol: If you're going to take offense at someone's grammar, yours had better be impeccable.
Last edited by bfollinprm on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:46 am

guthria wrote:But dont you think that the Backstreet Boys (atleast some of the time) sound like Brittney Spears sounds (all of the time)- constipated?



It's all the musical genius bottled up in 4 mere mortals. Brittney just needs more lentils.

guthria
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Re: All about music.

Postby guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:57 am

sphy wrote:
guthria wrote:But dont you think that the Backstreet Boys (atleast some of the time) sound like Brittney Spears sounds (all of the time)- constipated?

What have you written? Structurally and grammatically that is incorrect.
That's you turd who sounds like that, when you frequently get constipation and starts to sing an English number from Backstreet Boys or Spears.

Don't you have a mirror in your bath room so that when you sing with you constipated stomach you can really see that it's YOU not BSB.

Take care.


Hey relax, Sphy. Unless it was YOU who actually sang those songs for Brittney and the Backstreet Boys, and all they did was lipsync, you dont have to be insulted!

bfollinprm wrote:
guthria wrote:But dont you think that the Backstreet Boys (atleast some of the time) sound like Brittney Spears sounds (all of the time)- constipated?



It's all the musical genius bottled up in 4 mere mortals. Brittney just needs more lentils.


Yeah- I think we should start a "Feed the Poor Brittney More Lentils" campaign and raise some money for her. What say?

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:18 am

guthria wrote:
sphy wrote:
guthria wrote:But dont you think that the Backstreet Boys (atleast some of the time) sound like Brittney Spears sounds (all of the time)- constipated?

What have you written? Structurally that is incorrect.
That's you turd who sounds like that, when you frequently get constipation and starts to sing an English number from Backstreet Boys or Spears.

Don't you have a mirror in your bath room so that when you sing with you constipated stomach you can really see that it's YOU not BSB.

Take care.


Hey relax, Sphy. Unless it was YOU who actually sang those songs for Brittney and the Backstreet Boys, and all they did was lipsync, you dont have to be insulted!

bfollinprm wrote:
guthria wrote:But dont you think that the Backstreet Boys (atleast some of the time) sound like Brittney Spears sounds (all of the time)- constipated?



It's all the musical genius bottled up in 4 mere mortals. Brittney just needs more lentils.


Yeah- I think we should start a "Feed the Poor Brittney More Lentils" campaign and raise some money for her. What say?

Definitely that's a good Idea and now you sound like Indian fellow with full of original Ideas. Well done for your mega project.

Any way I heard some times back (4-5 years) that she sold her Bikini for raising money. And in comparison yours project is far far far better than hers.
Take care.

guthria
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Re: All about music.

Postby guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:26 am

sphy wrote:Definitely that's a good Idea and now you sound like Indian fellow with full of original Ideas. Well done for your mega project.

Any way I heard some times back (4-5 years) that she sold her Bikini for raising money. And in comparison yours project is far far far better than hers.
Take care.


Er... are you showing solidarity and support for my campaign? Want to start by contributing a Bikini of yours? Thanks so much!

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 am

guthria wrote:
sphy wrote:Definitely that's a good Idea and now you sound like Indian fellow with full of original Ideas. Well done for your mega project.

Any way I heard some times back (4-5 years) that she sold her Bikini for raising money. And in comparison yours project is far far far better than hers.
Take care.


Er... are you showing solidarity and support for my campaign? Want to start by contributing a Bikini of yours? Thanks so much!


I know I'm for it! In the post-apocalyptic world it will be very important to understand the bikini-lentil exchange rate.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:53 am

guthria wrote:
sphy wrote:Definitely that's a good Idea and now you sound like Indian fellow with full of original Ideas. Well done for your mega project.

Any way I heard some times back (4-5 years) that she sold her Bikini for raising money. And in comparison yours project is far far far better than hers.
Take care.


Er... are you showing solidarity and support for my campaign? Want to start by contributing a Bikini of yours? Thanks so much!
When did i say that? I said she once bade her bikini for some noble cause to raise money. Hope you'll get it straight.

Anyway where are you from, I mean from which part of India? We really wanna go there to see Bikini Clad husky boys. Are you from that so special group?

User avatar
twistor
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby twistor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:06 pm

sphy wrote:
guthria wrote:
sphy wrote:Definitely that's a good Idea and now you sound like Indian fellow with full of original Ideas. Well done for your mega project.

Any way I heard some times back (4-5 years) that she sold her Bikini for raising money. And in comparison yours project is far far far better than hers.
Take care.


Er... are you showing solidarity and support for my campaign? Want to start by contributing a Bikini of yours? Thanks so much!
When did i say that? I said she once bade her bikini for some noble cause to raise money. Hope you'll get it straight.

Anyway where are you from, I mean from which part of India? We really wanna go there to see Bikini Clad husky boys. Are you from that so special group?


Image

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Yeah precisely because I'm from an Ivy and thus often exposed to this sort of bullshit and usual lesser level of reasoning, I take dumps on PC whenever I get a chance. It was particularly funny that when I first arrived. I used to hang around a few blacks, some domestic some international, and none took offense at the usual stereotyping or *** jokes (except some of their other US white friends). But after a couple of years of them being exposed to the many retards found at Ivy schools, they were finally brainwashed into thinking how racist everyone actually is, and how before being normal people, they should act like former slaves. Black people don't come to college to get an education like everyone else, they come here to be explained to how they're special and some sort of victim. And pretty much the same with women, or indeed most minorities.

I'm not from the US, my family never owned a slave despite our skin color (shocking i know), so I couldn't care less about your retarded PC standards.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:25 pm

negru wrote:Black people don't come to college to get an education like everyone else, they come here to be explained to how they're special and some sort of victim. And pretty much the same with women, or indeed most minorities.


I don't know why I tried. It's not shitty PC. Shitty PC is pretending there is no color, gender, or sexual preferences. I'm just talking about being kind to your neighbor.

And a joke is fine, if people are in on the fact that it's meant as humor. What's not okay is ridiculous, over-the-top, disparaging, unfounded generalities encompassing an entire group of people 99.99% of which you've never met (see above).

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:25 pm

midwestphysics wrote: I refuse to be a racist or a homophobe like you not because I'm scared, but because unlike you I live around all kinds of different people and I have too much respect for them to let some p.o.s. like you run your mouth without at least someone calling you out on it.

and there you go. I don't have to refuse being anything. I'm just not, it doesn't take any extra effort. Don't blame me for your internal struggles.

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:27 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
negru wrote:Black people don't come to college to get an education like everyone else, they come here to be explained to how they're special and some sort of victim. And pretty much the same with women, or indeed most minorities.


I don't know why I tried. It's not shitty PC. Shitty PC is pretending there is no color, gender, or sexual preferences. I'm just talking about being kind to your neighbor.

And a joke is fine, if people are in on the fact that it's meant as humor. What's not okay is ridiculous, over-the-top, disparaging, unfounded generalities encompassing an entire group of people 99.99% of which you've never met (see above).

I'm not sure if you're from an Ivy school. Humor is not ok. Make just a funny ass remark you can get into quite some trouble with the admin.

Also in that post I was explaining that black people are all forced into that category by the usual liberals who think they know best for their lesser subhuman peers. What, this black guy is minding his own business? IMPOSSIBLE, get him to a black group meeting ASAP. Make sure he understands why he is not normal, and therefore why he should never be treated normally.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:36 pm

negru wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:And a joke is fine, if people are in on the fact that it's meant as humor. What's not okay is ridiculous, over-the-top, disparaging, unfounded generalities encompassing an entire group of people 99.99% of which you've never met (see above).

I'm not sure if you're from an Ivy school. Humor is not ok. Make just a funny ass remark you can get into quite some trouble with the admin.


Would get YOU in trouble. And that's because there's no way anyone can interpret you as anything other than a racist, sexist, bigot. And when bigots make racial jokes, they aren't funny to anyone. If you're going to ascribe to stereotyping, you can't make fun of stereotypes. You really are extremely immature if you can't understand this; I know (hope) it isn't a lack of intelligence.

You see a black person/woman at your school, you immediately think affirmative action and someone who whines about the way the world has treated them. That could possibly be true of some of them (I do have friends who've played the "Is it cuz I'm black" card too often). But you simply assume it when you see someone (you've indicated as much). It's no longer a joke, then. It's disgusting.

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:47 pm

Read my edited post. Many black people come to get a real education (ie non-africana studies), but the extreme environment forces them to become victims. It's not their fault as it is the fault of whites who butt in. I'm not blaming the blacks, I'm blaming the guys who think they know best for everyone. Which in particular includes the self declared defenders of PC. If a black takes offense at what I say, let him tell me that. Then I can either agree that what I said was indeed unfair, or that he's just being a homo(ha).

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:55 pm

negru wrote:Read my edited post. Many black people come to get a real education (ie non-africana studies), but the extreme environment forces them to become victims. It's not their fault as it is the fault of whites who butt in. I'm not blaming the blacks, I'm blaming the guys who think they know best for everyone. Which in particular includes the self declared defenders of PC. If a black takes offense at what I say, let him tell me that. Then I can either agree that what I said was indeed unfair, or that he's just being a homo(ha).


I am telling you I'm taking offense. Why do I have to be black for that to matter? Plenty of women on this site have also told you you're full of *** and a hate-monger. We stick up for minorities because as a minority they can get run over sometimes.

And what post did you edit, that I'm supposed to look at, exactly? Whites are always so stubborn. :sarcasm:

EDIT: Ok, the thing you don't get is that you are a racist. It's an objective fact. A racist is someone who ascribes characteristics to an entire group (stereotypes) and then reacts to individuals in that group according to those stereotypes. You do that. I'm not one of your "usual liberals" (thanks for stereotyping me though). I grew up in *** West Virginia. I'm just someone trying to let you know that what YOU are saying IS offensive.
Last edited by bfollinprm on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:07 pm

well, it's none of your goddamn business.

what if i said I was offended by everything you're saying, about anything? what would you do? you'd tell me to go *** myself, which would be the correct approach that I'm also advocating.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Question:
negru wrote:how exactly have I expressed intolerance by making reference to some people's color and/or sexual preferences?

Answer:
bfollinprm wrote:Because in general circumstance it isn't someone's appearance or sexuality that is being discussed. When you refer to someone as "a black" outside of being asked to describe his/her outward appearance, what you're really asking someone to do is appeal to a stereotype. That's naturally offensive to the person being described.
When you refer to "the blacks", you're assuming that everyone with black skin color can be grouped together in some way other than their appearance. That's also naturally offensive.
Calling someone black isn't offensive if you're trying to describe the person (Do you see that black guy down the street? I really like his backpack.) Calling someone gay isn't offensive if you're describing his sexuality (Sorry Julie, I'd love to set you up with my friend John, but he's gay).
Honestly, coming from an ivy you should already know this. I'd understand if you went to a big state school for undergrad, because then I could conceive that you somehow lacked exposure...
EDIT: Just to head off the very offensive thing I know you will say next, just because there is a correlation between a group and an action doesn't mean you can ascribe the action to that group inoffensively. It's true, for instance, that American blacks are more likely to live in urban areas, which give them a certain type of dialect. To say to someone "You speak like a black" or "you act like a gay" is going a step further--you're ascribing that action or quality as a necessary part of being black/gay. This is naturally offensive, especially when it's a quality you look down upon (but it's also offensive even when it's a quality you admire, because then you're implying they only have that quality because they belong to the group ("Damn, I wish I was a black so i could jump like you" negates all the work the person put into their basketball game, for instance).

If it’s none of our goddamn business, stop talking to us. I’m sure there’s plenty of Jersey blacks and Princeton girls you can piss off face-to-face.

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:23 pm

umm, no because i was only talking about a specific subgroup of black people. or what, if I say "the subgroup of black people who are criminals" does that make me a racist too?

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:30 pm

or how about this one. "all black are treated unequally". does that make me a racist, im really curios.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:47 pm

negru wrote:if I say "the subgroup of black people who are criminals" does that make me a racist too?


Yes, if you follow it with anything but something of the form "black people who are criminals are black, and are criminals"

negru wrote:umm, no because i was only talking about a specific subgroup of black people


Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Blacks ARE a subgroup, and the fact that you are only talking about them (and all of them) when you say something like "the blacks" is what makes you a racist.
Look, racism isn't what you say, it's how you qualify it. There's nothing wrong with this statement:
Blacks I know at Ivy leagues are sometimes told they need to take offense at things that don't really bother them; it's as if some jerks think they know better than those in the group the joke targets about what should offend and what shouldn't

But instead you decide to say:
negru wrote:Black people don't come to college to get an education like everyone else, they come here to be explained to how they're special and some sort of victim. And pretty much the same with women, or indeed most minorities.

And
negru wrote: black people are all forced into that category by the usual liberals who think they know best for their lesser subhuman peers.


And come on. Really? Are we 7?
negru wrote:or how about this one. "all black are treated unequally". does that make me a racist, im really curios.

Oh snap! Touche!

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:00 pm

bfollinprm wrote:Look, racism isn't what you say, it's how you qualify it. There's nothing wrong with this statement:
Blacks I know at Ivy leagues are sometimes told they need to take offense at things that don't really bother them; it's as if some jerks think they know better than those the joke is about what should offend and what shouldn't

But instead you decide to say:
negru wrote:Black people don't come to college to get an education like everyone else, they come here to be explained to how they're special and some sort of victim. And pretty much the same with women, or indeed most minorities.

And
negru wrote: black people are all forced into that category by the usual liberals who think they know best for their lesser subhuman peers.


And come on. Really? Are we 7?
negru wrote:or how about this one. "all black are treated unequally". does that make me a racist, im really curios.

Oh snap! Touche!

See here you're just being prejudiced against me because I didn't automatically follow these standards which you just made up. "Blacks I know at Ivy leagues are sometimes told they need to take offense at things that don't really bother them; it's as if some jerks think they know better than those the joke is about what should offend and what shouldn't" is exactly what I meant, so you can lower your offense levels.

And by
negru wrote:Black people don't come to college to get an education like everyone else, they come here to be explained to how they're special and some sort of victim. And pretty much the same with women, or indeed most minorities.

I meant that that is what is imposed on them. They are never left alone to just do what they want, they are always told that they are somehow special. Well I think that is stupid, and I'll go on to treat blacks, whites and yellows with the same amount of disgust, respect or humor I treat anyone as I see fit. Just because I don't follow these artificial and superficial rules doesn't mean I go shooting minorities on weekends.

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:11 pm

But you guys just prove how hot-headed people can be on this issue. LIKE OMG he used the article "a" before gay, OMGOMGWTF CALL THE POLICE! Chill the *** down.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:19 pm

negru wrote:See here you're just being prejudiced against me because I didn't automatically follow these standards which you just made up. "Blacks I know at Ivy leagues are sometimes told they need to take offense at things that don't really bother them; it's as if some jerks think they know better than those the joke is about what should offend and what shouldn't" is exactly what I meant, so you can lower your offense levels.

If it's what you meant, why did you say the insensitive thing? Is it a hobby of yours to be racist? Like I said, either you're immature or stupid, and don't understand how you sound.

negru wrote: Just because I don't follow these artificial and superficial rules doesn't mean I go shooting minorities on weekends.

Oh ok. As long as no one is committing genocide, we can all relax.

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:24 pm

No seriously what insensitive thing have I said? If you put it all in context you'll see that my stance on this issue is that most blacks start out good but end up in the victim position because of the hyper liberal environment, and that the same thing happens with women, and other minorities. And that is why I don't follow this PC etiquette, since in my opinion
1. it is simply retarded
2. it's actually one of the primary sources of racial tension

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:29 pm

You know kinda like how forbidding your children to say the f-word is never going to stop them from doing it. Thinking otherwise is simply delusional, or worse.

t2kburl
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby t2kburl » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:01 pm

negru wrote:No seriously what insensitive thing have I said? If you put it all in context you'll see that my stance on this issue is that most blacks start out good but end up in the victim position because of the hyper liberal environment, and that the same thing happens with women, and other minorities. And that is why I don't follow this PC etiquette, since in my opinion
1. it is simply retarded
2. it's actually one of the primary sources of racial tension

I agree with this. I've seen it happen. I've also known some people that were able to resist the environmental forces and were very happy to do so. In the long run, they much better off. In fact, an old friend of mine (who happened to be black) once called Jessie Jackson the worst racist in the US.

guthria
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Re: All about music.

Postby guthria » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:30 am

sphy wrote: I said she once bade her bikini for some noble cause to raise money.


Ah, that fateful day when the noble Brittney bade her noble Bikini goodbye!
Little did she know it was to be a cause of inspiration for many future generations to come!
Little did she know that a certain sphy would one day follow in her footsteps and bid his Bikini goodbye for a noble cause as well!

sphy wrote:We really wanna go there to see Bikini Clad husky boys. Are you from that so special group?


I am delighted to see that you too are from that enlightened set that exults in the Bikini-clad-ness of husky boys.

Me, I like my boys husky, but not Bikini-clad... although I might make an exception for you. :wink:

guthria
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Re: All about music.

Postby guthria » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:35 am

bfollinprm wrote:
guthria wrote:
sphy wrote:Definitely that's a good Idea and now you sound like Indian fellow with full of original Ideas. Well done for your mega project.

Any way I heard some times back (4-5 years) that she sold her Bikini for raising money. And in comparison yours project is far far far better than hers.
Take care.


Er... are you showing solidarity and support for my campaign? Want to start by contributing a Bikini of yours? Thanks so much!


I know I'm for it! In the post-apocalyptic world it will be very important to understand the bikini-lentil exchange rate.


Come on, bfollinprm! Gather some more people! I hereby name you Chief Campaign Chap, Treasurer, Media Consultant and Spokesman. Let nothing stand in our way!!

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:16 am

guthria wrote:
Come on, bfollinprm! Gather some more people! I hereby name you Chief Campaign Chap, Treasurer, Media Consultant and Spokesman. Let nothing stand in our way!!


Ok! Um...yeah. That sounds like a lot of work...

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:10 pm

sphy wrote: And seriously man I don't like your music sense either, but I didn't mention that until you did.


Interesting enough sphy, I highly doubt you have heard most of the music HappyQuark listens to. Considering I own a lot of music (some mainstream, quite a bit not mainstream), I have not heard of all of the artists HappyQuark is interested in. On the other hand, to be fair I'd say the majority of the music you're interested in hit its peak in the US about 10 years ago. I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum has never heard of the artists you primarily enjoy.

sphy wrote:The whole album tells you a continuous story so if you miss some songs then the story is left unfinished.


Some albums do tell a story, but most of them do not. For example, Britney Spears, Nsync, and Backstreet Boys do not tell a story that I am aware of. Although the songs may be connected by similar lyrics, I doubt they are connected by a common theme (unless it is one such as Love or Hate). Out of the 500 CDs I own, I would say less than 5% of them are connected by a common theme or "story". So although I am a fan of buying complete albums, I have to disagree with the story being unfinished. Especially with pop music, the quality of the "hit single" is usually 10-20x better than the rest of the CD.

When it comes to music, I think it is best to explore and find what is best to your liking. However, I think the reason for this brawl is because of your choice of music sphy. From my stance it does not truly define who you are as a person or what you particularly like, instead what others have found to like that has been passed on to you. I'm sure if I posted my favorite music most people would dislike it as well. I am not fond of HappyQuark's overall music selection myself, but I can tell that he himself has defined what he prefers to listen to, not the populace.

-Riley

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:28 pm

sphy wrote:To this: Well don't waste your time and other's, nobody asked you to give any opinion about my music sense or get patronized and show it to others. Did any? You should better read the first post of this section by modernphysics. I am not saying you to listen to these. I just placed my interest as you have already done. And seriously man I don't like your music sense either, but I didn't mention that until you did.


My initial response to you was addressing your use of a phrase that is considered politically incorrect in the US and a recommendation to avoid certain usages. My last sentence suggesting you had poor taste in music was a reaction to the mild shock and amusement I found in the fact that you identified a number of bands as your favorites which would, at least by most domestic students, be a sufficiently embarassing omission. The fact that I made additional and more specific remarks beyond that original comment is only as a result of your failure to spot the clearly defined sarcasm in my initial post.


sphy wrote:You're always doubtful. They should not better read this.
You are disparaging them whatever medium you have right now,that's Physics GRE forum. If you were something like a cheap celebrity with your current state of mind then you would have called a press conference perhaps just to disparage them publicly.


I think I may have read too much into your previous comment. I assumed you meant that I was disparaging them and, therefore, discouraging the musicians. If all you really meant was that they had been disparaged then yeah, of course I did that. Had you meant to go anywhere with that comment or did you just want to remind me that I was speaking negatively about musicians I hold negative opinions for?


sphy wrote:The whole album tells you a continuous story so if you miss some songs then the story is left unfinished. And you don't get a better picture out of it. So I urge you to buy full album.


This is very, very rarely the case. I can only think of maybe 2 albums (with the exception of just about everything Coheed and Cambria wrote) that are so intricately tied together as to lose context by not having them in their entirety (i.e. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd and American Idiot by Green Day). I certainly can't think of a single album that holds this continous storyline motif within the works of any musicians you listed. They may have a general theme by which most or even all of the songs are written about but that is hardly what you are arguing.


sphy wrote:And the shitty artists like yours whose names we have not heard of before don't know the music themselves and they don't have a story line about their album so if you select some songs of their album selectively, subjectively then that's ok. They wanted to sell those songs only. But if you buy their complete album I am sure you'll start hating them as well because you'll know they have nothing in their album. And that's why they don't have any international presence either. Because nobody listens to them except bunch of freaks whose opinion don't count at all.


First, since we all agree that labeling music as good or bad is subjective (read that again in case you are still confused on this point) it is a bit ridiculous for you to simply declare that anyone who likes a certain type of music is instantly disallowed from having a valid opinion.

Second, the musicians I've listed have a fairly significant international presence, especially considering that they aren't pop musicians and are not from the US and yet have a fairly significant following in both Europe and the Americas. For example, here is a video in which Andre 3000 of Outkast raves about Squarepusher, or the wikipedia link in which Radiohead (one of your favorite bands) lists Aphex Twin as a major inspiration to their music. Music by Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre and Boards of Canada are frequently featured on the BBC program Top Gear which is viewed internationally.

Third, you may wan't to reconsider your "international presence" argument since there are no Indian musicians with an international presence (with the possible exception of A.R. Rahman) and so insulting my musical tastes on this basis would require you to insult your own cultures music.

Fourth, I generally purchase albums in their entirety and then delete those songs I don't like or I listen through the entire album through online streaming and then purchase only the individual songs I like. I generally have a very good feel for how much I like or dislike my favorite musicians and I doubt I'll ever start to hate a musician just because their albums aren't flawless.

sphy wrote:Well here I agree with you. He is not but i liked his Symphony of Science project so I mentioned him. That's it.


It's not 'his' symphony of science project and the fact that someone thought to autotune his voice and include it among a number of other scientists voices in a song does not make Carl Sagan a musician or artist that should be listed among your favorite musicians. Assuming you are referring to the Symphony of Science videos created by 'Melodysheep', you could include Melodysheep in your favorites but it doesn't make any sense to cite Carl Sagan.

sphy wrote:em, What about R.P.Feynman? If He were not a great physicist, then you would perhaps go on abusing him.


If Feynman were not a great physicist and were an overrated musician, then yes I would 'abuse' him in the sense that I would call him overrated. What's your point?

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:45 pm

HappyQuark wrote:I can only think of maybe 2 albums (with the exception of just about everything Coheed and Cambria wrote) that are so intricately tied together as to lose context by not having them in their entirety (i.e. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd and American Idiot by Green Day).


There truly aren't a lot of albums that do so, and none in "pop" music that I can think of myself. Just glancing through my music I pulled out these:

Alesana - The Emptiness
Armor For Sleep - What To Do When You're Dead
Armor For Sleep - Smile For Them
Boys Night Out - Trainwreck
Powerman 5000 - Tonight the Stars Revolt!
Drop Dead Gorgeous - Worse Than A Fairy Tale
The Early November - The Mother, The Mechanic, And The Path
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Coheed and Cambria - All CDs
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
Protest The Hero - Kezia
Senses Fail - Still Searching
Funeral For A Friend - Tales Don't Tell Themselves

-Riley

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby grae313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 am

Let us make a distinction between albums that tell a continuous story with each song such that not listening to one song would be like skipping a chapter of a book, and albums that flow cohesively with a theme. I think the former is exceedingly rare and I'm pretty sure I've never heard one. Given a generous reading, sphy could really just be referring to those albums in which every song seems to be in its perfect place -- those albums that you put on at track one and feel bad if you have to stop listening before the album is over. The albums that are somehow greater than the sum of their parts.

Of course this too is subjective, so I'll preface this by saying that *I* feel this way about the following albums :)

Fleet Foxes - Self Titled
Tool - Lateralus
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - Kid A
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Self Titled
NIN - The Fragile
Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom

Tool also lists Autechre as an influence, and along with Radiohead are the reason I got into Aphex Twin, Autechre and BoC a long time ago.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:42 am

grae313 wrote:Let us make a distinction between albums that tell a continuous story with each song


The most prominent album in my mind is The Emptiness by Alesana. Now I realize most people are not into this type of music, but the story being told in the album is absolutely marvelous. Let me quote from Wikipedia:

"The central character of the story, a sketch artist known simply as "The Artist" wakes up one day to find his lover, Annabel, dead, lying beside to him. Heartbroken and terrified, he buries her in his basement and flees. He wanders aimlessly until he comes to a tavern, where he hears the sounds of merriment and laughter. He decides that if he can't be happy no one can and slaughters everyone in the tavern. After wandering through many places and finding Annabel's killer, "The Thespian", at the end of the story The Artist finally comes face to face with him to fight to the death. He is stabbed in his side with a dagger and finds himself in a room with Annabel holding a dagger in hand. From here on the story's point of view switches from The Artist to Annabel where she explains that The Artist had slowly been sinking into madness all this while, as he became more and more withdrawn and his sketches more and more violent. Though she loved him, in the end she had to take his life in the attempt to defend herself from him."

All of the songs are connected through this story. I think many people would be confused if they tried to define the meaning of many of the songs without listening to the album collectively. It honestly gives me chills at how wonderful the story is every time I listen to it!

-Riley

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby grae313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:24 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
grae313 wrote:Let us make a distinction between albums that tell a continuous story with each song


The most prominent album in my mind is The Emptiness by Alesana. Now I realize most people are not into this type of music, but the story being told in the album is absolutely marvelous. Let me quote from Wikipedia:

"The central character of the story, a sketch artist known simply as "The Artist" wakes up one day to find his lover, Annabel, dead, lying beside to him. Heartbroken and terrified, he buries her in his basement and flees. He wanders aimlessly until he comes to a tavern, where he hears the sounds of merriment and laughter. He decides that if he can't be happy no one can and slaughters everyone in the tavern. After wandering through many places and finding Annabel's killer, "The Thespian", at the end of the story The Artist finally comes face to face with him to fight to the death. He is stabbed in his side with a dagger and finds himself in a room with Annabel holding a dagger in hand. From here on the story's point of view switches from The Artist to Annabel where she explains that The Artist had slowly been sinking into madness all this while, as he became more and more withdrawn and his sketches more and more violent. Though she loved him, in the end she had to take his life in the attempt to defend herself from him."

All of the songs are connected through this story. I think many people would be confused if they tried to define the meaning of many of the songs without listening to the album collectively. It honestly gives me chills at how wonderful the story is every time I listen to it!

-Riley


Sounds like a modern day opera :)

t2kburl
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby t2kburl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 am

I'll throw in Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime and Marillion - Brave

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: HappyQuark and WhoaNonstop:
Well both of you, if you can honestly critique my choice of music and then compare it to yours and show me how your's have a good choice of music then I feel I could better able to see my music sense from your perspective. (But seriously man, I find U2, Bryan Adam, etc to be soothing to my soul.)

Here is this my choice again ( mentioning their origin)
Contemplative Mood:
U2: Irish
Beatles: UK
Enya: Irish
Bryan Adam: Canada
Johny Cash: US
etc..
Driving:
Westlife: Irish
BSBoys: US
'N Sync: US
Eminem: US
etc..



One thing I really noticed that I am a bit OLD in my taste and yours have relatively new bands.

So that's it for now...

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:10 pm

sphy wrote:I am so sorry to tell you that's (BBC's Top Gear) not available in India.


I'm not sure what this has to do with the discussion point. It may explain why you have never heard any of the music from the artists that I listed but we were discussing whether or not any of the artists I like have international presence. My point about Top Gear was to say that since they are featured heavily on this program, which is internationally syndicated, they are at the very least listened to by an international audience, even if people aren't aware of the musicians name.

sphy wrote:I know we don't have much international presence because of language, but I was not talking of our's international presence then. So I didn't insult my culture of music, but I am sure many ''instrumentalists'' of India have their presence.


You argued that the musicians I listen to have no international presence and this was because they make bad music. Whether or not you intended for this to reflect on your own cultures music is irrelevant. You made the argument and either it is true, in which case the music I listen to is bad and so too is the music that most Indian musicians make, or the amount of "international presence" that a musician has is not a good indicator of the quality of music that musician makes. You can't have it both ways.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:22 pm

sphy wrote:Re: HappyQuark and WhoaNonstop:
Well both of you, if you can honestly critique my choice of music and then compare it to yours and show me how your's have a good choice of music then I feel I could better able to see my music sense from your perspective.


Sphy, I would be very surprised if you enjoy my favorites and I'm not offended by that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6wGNfZHJH8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Og4fCRNuaA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJroU3jwatA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7R8OWnMjfs

However, this isn't the only music I listen to, this is just my personal preference (and I realize that isn't the preference of the masses). Beyond my favorites, I believe there is a lot of my music you might like that I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlxfe2yS5h8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-0jo9ILIxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqM3Dr7agjY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6pW_q1PvH0

Of course, this isn't guaranteed, just trying to expose you to somewhat newer music that I feel has a similar vibe. I just feel there is a lot more stuff out there you would enjoy that you have yet to explore.

-Riley

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:41 pm

@HappyQuark:
About A R Rahman, when he made his debut he got phenomenal success here in Tamil and Hindi language.
Earlier his music used to have some slowness in it, like the season spring and then he has changed a lot since then (probably to suite the current style which I like but not that much in comparison to his earlier scores.

Here I have placed some of his melodious track if you want to listen (but you can't understand Hindi but I guess you'll receive his music and Indian Music.)
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-HuIuYGIcE, All Roja Soundtracks are good.
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcctk2--CY&feature=related, All Lagan soundtracks are good.
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUFB14QiUfI, all Dilse soundtracks are good.
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOLztuvNy-E, all Taal soundtracks are good.
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4s8D3ASKMg, I like particularly this one from the Rang de Basanti soundtrack.
6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnxxrijZFE, all Jodhaa Akbar soundtracks are good.
7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI3YwOez5Gg, I particularly like this song from Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na.
etc And of course you know about Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours


best regards...

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby CarlBrannen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:49 pm

sphy wrote:Here I have placed some of his melodious track if you want to listen (but you can't understand Hindi but I guess you'll receive his music and Indian Music.)
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-HuIuYGIcE, All Roja Soundtracks are good.
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcctk2--CY&feature=related, All Lagan soundtracks are good.
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUFB14QiUfI, all Dilse soundtracks are good.
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOLztuvNy-E, all Taal soundtracks are good.
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4s8D3ASKMg, I like particularly this one from the Rang de Basanti soundtrack.
6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnxxrijZFE, all Jodhaa Akbar soundtracks are good.
7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI3YwOez5Gg, I particularly like this song from Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na.
etc And of course you know about Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours
best regards...


So far I've only listened to the first track but it is beautiful and the scenery is not what I thought India looked like. Reminds me of the mountains of southwest Colorado, but with different tree types.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby grae313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1NoOOoaNw Who put the goat in there?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpROhIg9eA Yes in the ear! Your brains will die!

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

grae313 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1NoOOoaNw Who put the goat in there?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpROhIg9eA Yes in the ear! Your brains will die!


Wow, thanks for bringing these back to my attention grae. I listened to these years ago and just died laughing!

-Riley

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:So far I've only listened to the first track but it is beautiful and the scenery is not what I thought India looked like. Reminds me of the mountains of southwest Colorado, but with different tree types.

You may like this one also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6-xSSYBfQs&feature=related

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: All about music.

Postby YodaT » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 pm

All I can say is that this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHpDOWhkGk
gives you epic dreams.

And these next two songs make physics feel so fepic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKA4b5SFq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 pm

grae313 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1NoOOoaNw Who put the goat in there?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpROhIg9eA Yes in the ear! Your brains will die!


That's bullshit.
I have not watched the first one, but about second, the english translation is certainly not that. :)
And she is a former Miss Universe-(1994).

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby grae313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 pm

sphy wrote:I have not watched the first one, but about second, the english translation is certainly not that. :)

Obviously. It's not supposed to be an English translation.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby grae313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:42 pm

YodaT wrote:All I can say is that this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHpDOWhkGk
gives you epic dreams.


1 is not bad but it's really all about the prelude to 6! Pablo Casals plays my favorite version but it's not on youtube. This will have to suffice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fpmgpNDwc Playing starts at 1:10.

Anyway, if you like the suites you should definitely get the recording of Pablo Casals playing them if you don't already have it. His recordings made them famous.

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: All about music.

Postby YodaT » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 am

grae313 wrote:
YodaT wrote:All I can say is that this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHpDOWhkGk
gives you epic dreams.


1 is not bad but it's really all about the prelude to 6! Pablo Casals plays my favorite version but it's not on youtube. This will have to suffice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fpmgpNDwc Playing starts at 1:10.

Anyway, if you like the suites you should definitely get the recording of Pablo Casals playing them if you don't already have it. His recordings made them famous.


God I always feel light-headed after listening to the cello :)

I guess I'm more accustomed to Yo-Yo Ma's style... haven't really looked much into Pablo Casals. I've really been into the cello and violin for only a year now... I'll have to listen to him more :D

Some more of Yo-Yo Ma :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=383i93LiT-o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HPdRBKixwI&feature=related




Return to “Physics Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests