All about music.

  • Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

User avatar
modernphysics
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

All about music.

Postby modernphysics » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:09 am

Dear friend i want to mention the importance of music in our area of physics,
i think we need music more than even the musicians :P
so let us share the best of musics among us and lets enjoy this eternal bliss.
please post the best songs which should just touch the soul at once.
PLEASE AVOID SONGS HAVING RACIALLY DISPARAGING, VULGAR AND GIBBERISH THEME.
SONGS MAY BE INSTRUMENTAL, FROM DIFFERENT LANGUAGE, FORMAL, POP, HYMNS, ANYTHING APART FROM THE ABOVE MENTIONED REDLIST AND LIKES.
My sincerely thanks to all of you genii.
best regards,
Modernphysics.
Last edited by modernphysics on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
modernphysics
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

Re: All about music.

Postby modernphysics » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 am

Let me first give my homage to the God of Music, Sir Mozart,
here is the complete list of all his musical compositions:

http://www.mozart-weltweit.de/mozart00.htm


i hope you'll find it beautiful.
Last edited by modernphysics on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kroner
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:58 am

Re: All about music.

Postby kroner » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:57 am

I'm confused about the rules! What counts as GIBBERISH THEME? Can you give some examples of good gibberish theme music?

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:46 pm

My favorite composer, by miles, is Arvo Pärt. I struggled to pick a single example of his music but I settled on "Summa for Strings".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzSlmWQuHFw

If you are craving more, some other fantastic works of his are "Tabula Rasa", Cantus In Memoriam "Benjamin Britten" (a memoriam for the famous British modern composer), his many variations of "Fratres" but in particular his "Fratres for 8 Cellos" or "Spiegel im Spiegel".

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 pm

kroner wrote:I'm confused about the rules! What counts as GIBBERISH THEME? Can you give some examples of good gibberish theme music?


This translates to me as "anything with lyrics/meaningful". I'm obviously not allowed to post. =)

-Riley

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby CarlBrannen » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Too tired to get your work done? Try "Inertia" from Bruce Dickinson's physics-oriented "Skunkworks" album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pUWitARq2w

I'm teaching "survey of the sciences" this quarter and wanted an interesting chemical to study as an example. I chose "sodium laureth sulfate", (a component of a lot of stuff in the home, particularly shampoo), partly because of the song by that name on "The Loud Family" album "Interbabe Concern". I don't see it on youtube, but the lyrics are available:

Sample:
http://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Laureth-Su ... B000TPOO76
Lyrics:
http://stormville.blogspot.com/2007/07/ ... yrics.html

User avatar
modernphysics
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

Re: All about music.

Postby modernphysics » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:57 am

kroner wrote:I'm confused about the rules! What counts as GIBBERISH THEME? Can you give some examples of good gibberish theme music?

Aha, being an amateur chess player i can see the trap here.
if i provide the examples then i am accused of violating the rules. so good trap. No? :lol:
any way, i know you have no intension of setting any traps.

well! the best two examples of gibberish theme are already given there, and in place of putting just ETC, i included the term gibberish to include other such stuffs which are synonymous and in close relationship with the two mentioned ones.

hope you are clear of your confusions now.
best regards
Modernphysics

User avatar
modernphysics
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

Re: All about music.

Postby modernphysics » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:31 am

HappyQuark wrote:My favorite composer, by miles, is Arvo Pärt. I struggled to pick a single example of his music but I settled on "Summa for Strings".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzSlmWQuHFw

If you are craving more, some other fantastic works of his are "Tabula Rasa", Cantus In Memoriam "Benjamin Britten" (a memoriam for the famous British modern composer), his many variations of "Fratres" but in particular his "Fratres for 8 Cellos" or "Spiegel im Spiegel".

Truly just kept me unmoved. really Sacred Music.

User avatar
modernphysics
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

Re: All about music.

Postby modernphysics » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Dear friends,
please check out this website

http://www.symphonyofscience.com/
i know many of know of this site but still refreshing the mind is always a good thing.

my best regards to all of you.
Modernphysics

User avatar
modernphysics
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

Re: All about music.

Postby modernphysics » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:27 am

dear friends for all of you:
http://www.haverford.edu/physics/songs/


best regards
modernphysics

User avatar
modernphysics
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

Re: All about music.

Postby modernphysics » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 am


User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:21 am

On a whim I decided to use a disk utility to rank the artists in my iTunes library in terms of the amount of data I have for each of them.

Image

What I learned from this is that I have way too much Crystal Method, especially considering how rarely I listen to them. The 'Various Artistis' that shows up approximately 9 down is a 6 cd anthology of western classical music.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:01 am

HappyQuark wrote:On a whim I decided to use a disk utility to rank the artists in my iTunes library in terms of the amount of data I have for each of them.

Image

What I learned from this is that I have way too much Crystal Method, especially considering how rarely I listen to them. The 'Various Artistis' that shows up approximately 9 down is a 6 cd anthology of western classical music.


In my case, this type of ranking would not represent my "favorites". I buy a lot of music, therefore any artists with more songs would rank higher than they probably should. But just for the hell of it, here are my top 10 artists by number of songs in my itunes library.

70 - Fall Out Boy
68 - System of a Down
64 - Portugal. The Man
63 - Say Anything
60 - Motion City Soundtrack
56 - Horse The Band
52 - The Jamestown Story
51 - Taking Back Sunday
50 - The Matches
48 - The Blood Brothers

Although I don't mind Fall Out Boy, I can guarantee you they aren't my favorite band/artist. I'd say my top 10 look something like this (no particular order):

Alesana
Pierce The Veil
Asking Alexandria
Bring Me The Horizon
We Came As Romans
A Skylit Drive
In Fear And Faith
The Blood Brothers
Mayday Parade
Eyes Set To Kill

Notice only one band/artist makes both of these lists?

-Riley

kroner
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:58 am

Re: All about music.

Postby kroner » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Yeah, this is sort of a weird exercise. Contributing factors seem to be: how long ago I started liking the band, how much music they've put out to date, how long their albums tend to be.

106 - Beastie Boys
99 - Radiohead
70 - Smashing Pumpkins
64 - Red Hot Chili Peppers
64 - Modest Mouse
59 - Talking Heads
56 - The White Stripes
54 - The Knife
54 - Deerhoof
54 - Jimi Hendrix

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:45 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote: In my case, this type of ranking would not represent my "favorites". I buy a lot of music, therefore any artists with more songs would rank higher than they probably should. But just for the hell of it, here are my top 10 artists by number of songs in my itunes library.

70 - Fall Out Boy
68 - System of a Down
64 - Portugal. The Man
63 - Say Anything
60 - Motion City Soundtrack
56 - Horse The Band
52 - The Jamestown Story
51 - Taking Back Sunday
50 - The Matches
48 - The Blood Brothers

Although I don't mind Fall Out Boy, I can guarantee you they aren't my favorite band/artist. I'd say my top 10 look something like this (no particular order):

Alesana
Pierce The Veil
Asking Alexandria
Bring Me The Horizon
We Came As Romans
A Skylit Drive
In Fear And Faith
The Blood Brothers
Mayday Parade
Eyes Set To Kill

Notice only one band/artist makes both of these lists?

-Riley


My list of favorites is not too different from my list of most data and this is probably in part because I refuse to keep songs that I don't like, regardless of whether or not it means I don't have the complete album from a certain artist. In fact, with a cursory skim of itunes, the only albums which I have in their entirety are

Aphex Twin - drukQs
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Squarepusher - Do You Know Squarepusher
Squarepusher - Ultravisitor
Squarepusher - Feed me weird things
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Z-Trip - Shifting Gears
DJ Qbert - Demolition Pumpkin Squeeze Music
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

And as for my actual rankings of favorites, it would go a little something like

Squarepusher
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Venetian Snares
Wisp
Apparat
Mouse on Mars
Boards of Canada
Prefuse73
Plaid
Telefon Tel Aviv
DJ Shadow
Ratatat

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:14 pm

HappyQuark wrote:My list of favorites is not too different from my list of most data and this is probably in part because I refuse to keep songs that I don't like, regardless of whether or not it means I don't have the complete album from a certain artist. In fact, with a cursory skim of itunes, the only albums which I have in their entirety are

Aphex Twin - drukQs
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Squarepusher - Do You Know Squarepusher
Squarepusher - Ultravisitor
Squarepusher - Feed me weird things
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Z-Trip - Shifting Gears
DJ Qbert - Demolition Pumpkin Squeeze Music
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

And as for my actual rankings of favorites, it would go a little something like

Squarepusher
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Venetian Snares
Wisp
Apparat
Mouse on Mars
Boards of Canada
Prefuse73
Plaid
Telefon Tel Aviv
DJ Shadow
Ratatat


I own nearly 600 albums and do not have a single song by any of these artists. But I'm sure you could easily say the same about my list. =P

-Riley
Last edited by WhoaNonstop on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby CarlBrannen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:I own nearly 600 albums and have do not have a single song by any of these artists. But I'm sure you could easily say the same about my list. =P -Riley


LOL, same here.

By the way, good on you for "owning' 600 albums, if by that you mean that you actually paid for em.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:My list of favorites is not too different from my list of most data and this is probably in part because I refuse to keep songs that I don't like, regardless of whether or not it means I don't have the complete album from a certain artist. In fact, with a cursory skim of itunes, the only albums which I have in their entirety are

Aphex Twin - drukQs
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Squarepusher - Do You Know Squarepusher
Squarepusher - Ultravisitor
Squarepusher - Feed me weird things
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Z-Trip - Shifting Gears
DJ Qbert - Demolition Pumpkin Squeeze Music
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

And as for my actual rankings of favorites, it would go a little something like

Squarepusher
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Venetian Snares
Wisp
Apparat
Mouse on Mars
Boards of Canada
Prefuse73
Plaid
Telefon Tel Aviv
DJ Shadow
Ratatat


I own nearly 600 albums and have do not have a single song by any of these artists. But I'm sure you could easily say the same about my list. =P

-Riley


I've got roughly 200 albums, or more accurately music from 200 different albums, and I too don't have a single song from any of the musicians,bands you listed. I almost exclusively purchase my music in digital format because of the way I selectively choose songs from entire albums.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:57 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:I own nearly 600 albums and have do not have a single song by any of these artists. But I'm sure you could easily say the same about my list. =P -Riley


LOL, same here.

By the way, good on you for "owning' 600 albums, if by that you mean that you actually paid for em.


I use to buy most of my music through iTunes when it first was available. However, over the past 3-4 years or so I have changed to buying physical copies of the CDs (even rebuying ones I had previously owned digitally). In a sense, I basically "collect" CDs.

-Riley

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby CarlBrannen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:43 am

I also buy CDs but I've not bought so many the last 5 years. Before then I was designing electronics and worked with headphones on all day. So I spent a lot.

I prefer CDs where the whole CD has some sort of theme, I have a lot of progressive or art rock. But you can say the same thing about other stuff. I.e. Tupac Shakur's "All Eyez On Me" has the theme "gang violence". And then there's around 400 CDs that I used to have in two juke boxes.

Which reminds me, when I teach physics I tell my students that physics is about "sex, money, and murder", cause I'm pretty sure that when you keep your lecture to those subjects the students have an easier time paying attention. I'm sure that those words are the lyric to a rap song but I can't figure out which one.

I took a class in glass blowing at Pilchuck. The glass blowers and artists there all listened to music but as far as I could tell almost none of them bought it. (Maybe this was luck of the draw, but glass artists do tend to be fairly poor.) I thought this was somewhat contrary given that they were making a living selling art.

http://www.pilchuck.com/

SSM
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby SSM » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Nice HappyQuark, we have several of the same favorites.

There are a few on your list I've never heard of, but I definitely listen to Daft Punk, Aphex Twin and DJ Shadow (I'm not really that into DJ Shadow in general, but Entroducing is too fantastic of an album). I know Ratatat is very good, but I never got into them much. I got Alive 2007 by Daft Punk for Christmas and I highly recommend it if you haven't heard.

I notice you like Boards of Canada. They're ambient right? You should check out Stars of the Lid if you haven't already.

SSM
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby SSM » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:11 pm

This song's pretty good, got a cute video if anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SHnuAgP ... ure=fvwrel

bigD3002
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bigD3002 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Several Interesting choices and I must agree on a few of them, notably Talking Heads.

I'm quite the fan of some old fashioned picking from greats like:

:!: Doc Watson :!:
Chet Atkins


Also some more popular:

John Denver
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Johnny Cash
George Strait

There's plenty of others on the list, but I should get back to studying! haha

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Well My favorites (apart from Indian songs):
U2
Enya
The Beatles
Radiohead
Evanescence
Brian Adam
Eminem
Backstreet Boys
'N Sync
Train
Westlife
Bob Seger
Hans Zimmer
Carl Sagan
Andy Gibb
Johny Cash
Bee Gees
Metric
Amy Grant

Without any apparent order or something. It's relative and mostly depends on my mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY&feature=related

User avatar
twistor
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby twistor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:19 pm

sphy wrote:Well My favorites (apart from Indian songs):
U2
Enya
The Beatles
Radiohead
Evanescence
Brian Adam
Eminem
Backstreet Boys
'N Sync
Train
Westlife
Bob Seger
Hans Zimmer
Carl Sagan
Andy Gibb
Johny Cash
Bee Gees
Metric
Amy Grant

Without any apparent order or something. It's relative and mostly depends on my mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY&feature=related


hm...you m or f?

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:13 pm

twistor wrote:
sphy wrote:Well My favorites (apart from Indian songs):
U2
Enya
The Beatles
Radiohead
Evanescence
Brian Adam
Eminem
Backstreet Boys
'N Sync
Train
Westlife
Bob Seger
Hans Zimmer
Carl Sagan
Andy Gibb
Johny Cash
Bee Gees
Metric
Amy Grant

Without any apparent order or something. It's relative and mostly depends on my mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY&feature=related


hm...you m or f?

dun worry he's just indian

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:46 pm

twistor wrote:
sphy wrote:Well My favorites (apart from Indian songs):
U2
Enya
The Beatles
Radiohead
Evanescence
Brian Adam
Eminem
Backstreet Boys
'N Sync
Train
Westlife
Bob Seger
Hans Zimmer
Carl Sagan
Andy Gibb
Johny Cash
Bee Gees
Metric
Amy Grant

Without any apparent order or something. It's relative and mostly depends on my mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY&feature=related


hm...you m or f?

Hah,
If you are a M, sorry I am not a Gay like you and If you are a F (not Lesbian or Something) PM me.
Don't pollute this forum. Better prepare for your thesis which is due soon. Fcuk you.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:20 pm

sphy wrote:
twistor wrote:
sphy wrote:Well My favorites (apart from Indian songs):
U2
Enya
The Beatles
Radiohead
Evanescence
Brian Adam
Eminem
Backstreet Boys
'N Sync
Train
Westlife
Bob Seger
Hans Zimmer
Carl Sagan
Andy Gibb
Johny Cash
Bee Gees
Metric
Amy Grant

Without any apparent order or something. It's relative and mostly depends on my mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY&feature=related


hm...you m or f?

Hah,
If you are a M, sorry I am not a Gay like you and If you are a F (not Lesbian or Something) PM me.
Don't pollute this forum. Better prepare for your thesis which is due soon. Fcuk you.


I find it quaint when international students say things in the most politically incorrect way possible. As a general rule, the following form is not politically correct

a(n) <minority group>
and
the <minority group>

Here are some examples of unacceptable usage,

a gay/the gays
a black/the blacks
an arab/the arabs

Also, you have horrible taste in music and that is objectively true.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: All about music.

Postby WhoaNonstop » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:18 pm

As much as I love to agree with Quark, I must say that pawning this music offfff as objectively bad is not correct. Obviously, many of these artists were or are big in the mainstream. Although I don't agree, objective music is what is listened to by most, which is a lot of these artists. However all music should be subjective, that is why we alll love different things. There is no definite wrong or right here :)

-Riley

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:27 pm

sphy don't retard yourself to the PC level of US liberals. count them gays and blacks whenever you feel like it! live long and live true.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:46 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:As much as I love to agree with Quark, I must say that pawning this music offfff as objectively bad is not correct. Obviously, many of these artists were or are big in the mainstream. Although I don't agree, objective music is what is listened to by most, which is a lot of these artists. However all music should be subjective, that is why we alll love different things. There is no definite wrong or right here :)

-Riley


Why disagree with me when you know how good it feels to agree? Perhaps you realized that I was being sarcastic and, as such, disagreeing with my statement on objectively good and bad music was in fact an act of agreement and, as such, it feels goooood.

Touché good sir.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: All about music.

Postby midwestphysics » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:11 pm

negru wrote:sphy don't retard yourself to the PC level of US liberals. count them gays and blacks whenever you feel like it! live long and live true.


I wondered if I ever ran into you at a conference or something whether or not I'd be able to recognize you. At least now I know I will be able to pick you out, I'll just look for the pointy white hood.

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 pm

sometimes i think you people are on the wrong website. here, i'll help you be on your way http://www.gnaa.eu

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: All about music.

Postby midwestphysics » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 pm

negru wrote:sometimes i think you people are on the wrong website. here, i'll help you be on your way http://www.gnaa.eu


I'm neither, and I'm also pretty sure PhysicsGRE isn't a racist website. Given how intolerant you are, how do you feel about immigration mr. international? I'm cool with immigration, but I wouldn't oppose sending you back to whatever backwards a** eastern European country you came from.

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 pm

how exactly have I expressed intolerance by making reference to some people's color and/or sexual preferences?

also, since you ask, i'm obviously pro unregulated immigration, as long as no one who comes here gets any sort of aid payed for by taxes. if they can work, let them work, if they starve, let them starve.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: All about music.

Postby midwestphysics » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Do I even need to quote you to prove it? See link above for the most recent evidence.

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 pm

yeah what about it. it looks like a friendly group of people who are black and gay? what's wrong with it?

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:25 pm

midwestphysics wrote:
negru wrote:sphy don't retard yourself to the PC level of US liberals. count them gays and blacks whenever you feel like it! live long and live true.


I wondered if I ever ran into you at a conference or something whether or not I'd be able to recognize you. At least now I know I will be able to pick you out, I'll just look for the pointy white hood.


Are you going to have some fight?
Last edited by sphy on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:As much as I love to agree with Quark, I must say that pawning this music offfff as objectively bad is not correct. Obviously, many of these artists were or are big in the mainstream. Although I don't agree, objective music is what is listened to by most, which is a lot of these artists. However all music should be subjective, that is why we alll love different things. There is no definite wrong or right here :)

-Riley


Why disagree with me when you know how good it feels to agree? Perhaps you realized that I was being sarcastic and, as such, disagreeing with my statement on objectively good and bad music was in fact an act of agreement and, as such, it feels goooood.

Touché good sir.

I agree with you that you too have a horrible taste in music and that is objectively true.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 pm

HappyQuark wrote:...... horrible taste in music and that is objectively true.

YOU are disparaging these great artists, who don't need your objective opinion to be labeled as good musicians. Buy any album of U2 (don't select some songs; that's the class of people who don't have any taste at all and they have testy nature. You are from that group) and tell us how bad they are or any Hans Zimmer's and tell us how horrible his music sounds Or any awesome Indian Music.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:45 pm

negru wrote:yeah what about it. it looks like a friendly group of people who are black and gay? what's wrong with it?

Well I am not a racist at all and I don't approve that in our society but I laughed the hardest on this statement of your's negru. I just wanted to see you in face to face and listen it from your mouth after being asked by midwestphysics. :lol:
Take care buddies.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: All about music.

Postby HappyQuark » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:44 am

sphy wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:As much as I love to agree with Quark, I must say that pawning this music offfff as objectively bad is not correct. Obviously, many of these artists were or are big in the mainstream. Although I don't agree, objective music is what is listened to by most, which is a lot of these artists. However all music should be subjective, that is why we alll love different things. There is no definite wrong or right here :)

-Riley


Why disagree with me when you know how good it feels to agree? Perhaps you realized that I was being sarcastic and, as such, disagreeing with my statement on objectively good and bad music was in fact an act of agreement and, as such, it feels goooood.

Touché good sir.

I agree with you that you too have a horrible taste in music and that is objectively true.



sphy wrote:YOU are disparaging these great artists, who don't need your objective opinion to be labeled as good musicians. Buy any album of U2 (don't select some songs; that's the class of people who don't have any taste at all and they have testy nature. You are from that group) and tell us how bad they are or any Hans Zimmer's and tell us how horrible his music sounds Or any awesome Indian Music.


First, I think you misunderstood my point, in particular when I said that your taste in music was bad and this was "objectively true". I think you have terrible taste in music but of course this is subjective. This is so obvious that I feel a bit patronizing pointing it out to anybody. In my opinion, your taste in music is horrific but, again, it my personal opinion and it is based only on what I feel are valuable attributes of music.

Second, I highly doubt that U2, Eminem, the Backstreet Boys, N Sync, etc read the Physics GRE forums so I seriously doubt I am disparaging any of them.

Third, I don't know where you get this idea that a person who purchases only parts of an album has poor taste in music. No musician or artist I have ever listened to always makes flawless albums without exception. Even my favorite artists have made music I didn't like and so I don't buy it. I would argue that a person who can't distinguish between good music and bad music just because they like the artist would be the one with bad taste in music.

Fourth, I'm struggling to understand what your final sentence is trying to say. Are you suggesting that I made some negative comment in regards to Hans Zimmer and Indian music in general or are you asking me if I dislike either of these? Assuming the second, I know very little about Indian music and have no opinion on it but I do feel that Zimmer is one of the most overrated modern composers the world has ever known.

Fifth, since when is Carl Sagan a musician?

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: All about music.

Postby negru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:46 am

sphy wrote:
negru wrote:yeah what about it. it looks like a friendly group of people who are black and gay? what's wrong with it?

Well I am not a racist at all and I don't approve that in our society but I laughed the hardest on this statement of your's negru. I just wanted to see you in face to face and listen it from your mouth after being asked by midwestphysics. :lol:
Take care buddies.

not my problem he immediately associates skin color with negative characteristics, and that the only way he can block the automatic prejudice in his head is to pretend the respective color doesn't exist. you know harry potter had a good reason to not mention the word which must not be mentioned, but that's only because if he did voldemorte would appear and whoop his ass. are you scared some black person is going to appear and whoop YOUR ass?.

and he's preaching others on racism? please.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:31 am

HappyQuark wrote:First, I think you misunderstood my point, in particular when I said that your taste in music was bad and this was "objectively true". I think you have terrible taste in music but of course this is subjective. This is so obvious that I feel a bit patronizing pointing it out to anybody.

To this: Well don't waste your time and other's, nobody asked you to give any opinion about my music sense or get patronized and show it to others. Did any? You should better read the first post of this section by modernphysics. I am not saying you to listen to these. I just placed my interest as you have already done. And seriously man I don't like your music sense either, but I didn't mention that until you did.
HappyQuark wrote:Second, I highly doubt that U2, Eminem, the Backstreet Boys, N Sync, etc read the Physics GRE forums so I seriously doubt I am disparaging any of them.

You're always doubtful. They should not better read this.
You are disparaging them whatever medium you have right now,that's Physics GRE forum. If you were something like a cheap celebrity with your current state of mind then you would have called a press conference perhaps just to disparage them publicly.
HappyQuark wrote:Third, I don't know where you get this idea that a person who purchases only parts of an album has poor taste in music. No musician or artist I have ever listened to always makes flawless albums without exception. Even my favorite artists have made music I didn't like and so I don't buy it. I would argue that a person who can't distinguish between good music and bad music just because they like the artist would be the one with bad taste in music.

The whole album tells you a continuous story so if you miss some songs then the story is left unfinished. And you don't get a better picture out of it. So I urge you to buy full album. And the shitty artists like yours whose names we have not heard of before don't know the music themselves and they don't have a story line about their album so if you select some songs of their album selectively, subjectively then that's ok. They wanted to sell those songs only. But if you buy their complete album I am sure you'll start hating them as well because you'll know they have nothing in their album. And that's why they don't have any international presence either. Because nobody listens to them except bunch of freaks whose opinion don't count at all.
HappyQuark wrote:Fourth, I'm struggling to understand what your final sentence is trying to say. Are you suggesting that I made some negative comment in regards to Hans Zimmer and Indian music in general or are you asking me if I dislike either of these? Assuming the second, I know very little about Indian music and have no opinion on it but I do feel that Zimmer is one of the most overrated modern composers the world has ever known.

I am sorry to tell you: You better take some rest. That's good for your health and MIND.
HappyQuark wrote:Fifth, since when is Carl Sagan a musician?

Well here I agree with you. He is not but i liked his Symphony of Science project so I mentioned him. That's it.
em, What about R.P.Feynman? If He were not a great physicist, then you would perhaps go on abusing him.
Take great care of yourself.
Last edited by sphy on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: All about music.

Postby midwestphysics » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:07 am

negru wrote:not my problem he immediately associates skin color with negative characteristics, and that the only way he can block the automatic prejudice in his head is to pretend the respective color doesn't exist. you know harry potter had a good reason to not mention the word which must not be mentioned, but that's only because if he did voldemorte would appear and whoop his ass. are you scared some black person is going to appear and whoop YOUR ass?.

and he's preaching others on racism? please.


What are you 12, harry potter? In any case, either you are the dumbest s.o.b. alive or you're really good at playing it, because 80% of your posts make it so that I don't even need to refute you. The underlying fact of the matter here is that you're some internet ******, who would turn b**** in two seconds in the presence of any of the people you like to insult. I refuse to be a racist or a homophobe like you not because I'm scared, but because unlike you I live around all kinds of different people and I have too much respect for them to let some p.o.s. like you run your mouth without at least someone calling you out on it. You're a loser, and I know that because character is who you are when nobody's looking, and I see a loser.

Sorry to everyone else for getting so fired up, but I refuse to sit idly by while this went down. I’ve said what I needed to say and I’m just going to ignore this crackpot from now on.
Last edited by midwestphysics on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: All about music.

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:33 am

negru wrote:how exactly have I expressed intolerance by making reference to some people's color and/or sexual preferences


Because in general circumstance it isn't someone's appearance or sexuality that is being discussed. When you refer to someone as "a black" outside of being asked to describe his/her outward appearance, what you're really asking someone to do is appeal to a stereotype. That's naturally offensive to the person being described.

When you refer to "the blacks", you're assuming that everyone with black skin color can be grouped together in some way other than their appearance. That's also naturally offensive.

Calling someone black isn't offensive if you're trying to describe the person (Do you see that black guy down the street? I really like his backpack.) Calling someone gay isn't offensive if you're describing his sexuality (Sorry Julie, I'd love to set you up with my friend John, but he's gay).

Honestly, coming from an ivy you should already know this. I'd understand if you went to a big state school for undergrad, because then I could conceive that you somehow lacked exposure...

EDIT: Just to head off the very offensive thing I know you will say next, just because there is a correlation between a group and an action doesn't mean you can ascribe the action to that group inoffensively. It's true, for instance, that American blacks are more likely to live in urban areas, which give them a certain type of dialect. To say to someone "You speak like a black" or "you act like a gay" is going a step further--you're ascribing that action or quality as a necessary part of being black/gay. This is naturally offensive, especially when it's a quality you look down upon (but it's also offensive even when it's a quality you admire, because then you're implying they only have that quality because they belong to the group ("Damn, I wish I was a black so i could jump like you" negates all the work the person put into their basketball game, for instance).

guthria
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Re: All about music.

Postby guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 am

sphy wrote:Well My favorites (apart from Indian songs):
U2
Enya
The Beatles
Radiohead
Evanescence
Brian Adam
Eminem
Backstreet Boys
'N Sync
Train
Westlife
Bob Seger
Hans Zimmer
Carl Sagan
Andy Gibb
Johny Cash
Bee Gees
Metric
Amy Grant

Without any apparent order or something. It's relative and mostly depends on my mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY&feature=related


Oh! hahaha. wow. !

guthria
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Re: All about music.

Postby guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:26 am

But dont you think that the Backstreet Boys (atleast some of the time) sound like Brittney Spears sounds (all of the time)- constipated?

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: All about music.

Postby sphy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:32 am

guthria wrote:
sphy wrote:Well My favorites (apart from Indian songs):
U2
Enya
The Beatles
Radiohead
Evanescence
Brian Adam
Eminem
Backstreet Boys
'N Sync
Train
Westlife
Bob Seger
Hans Zimmer
Carl Sagan
Andy Gibb
Johny Cash
Bee Gees
Metric
Amy Grant

Without any apparent order or something. It's relative and mostly depends on my mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY&feature=related


Oh! hahaha. wow. !

What :?:

guthria
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Re: All about music.

Postby guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:34 am

sphy wrote:
guthria wrote:
sphy wrote:Well My favorites (apart from Indian songs):
U2
Enya
The Beatles
Radiohead
Evanescence
Brian Adam
Eminem
Backstreet Boys
'N Sync
Train
Westlife
Bob Seger
Hans Zimmer
Carl Sagan
Andy Gibb
Johny Cash
Bee Gees
Metric
Amy Grant

Without any apparent order or something. It's relative and mostly depends on my mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY&feature=related


Oh! hahaha. wow. !

What :?:


Nothing, actually. I've been crazy about some of these people myself, a long time ago * shudders *




Return to “Physics Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest