Chaos theory and self organizing machines

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Virtuosity

Chaos theory and self organizing machines

Post by Virtuosity » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but so far find it a bit more engaging than other physics forums so kudos to the admins of this site...

My topic is a strange one as it is regarding a hypothetical computational device. There have been a few scientist that hypothesized that our reality is a virtual reality of some kind of computing device but not one of them ever conceived of such a device where no intelligent designer is required. What I'm about to describe is a computational system that is a contectionist kind of computational system that does not require a designer.

What I propose are elements of reality that are a base without cause, in other words they have no beginning or end in any context by which our universe exists. These elements of reality are standing waves. They are fixed in position and have overlapping foot prints where they end up interfering with one another. The standing waves either re-enforce or cancel each other out. While that seems trivial the end result of that kind of interference results in a vector state machine that is either representing a 1 or 0 for any one standing wave. So far a very simple idea. Now when emulating this kind of environment in a matrix of 3 x 3 x 3 the "bits" converge on a oscillating pattern with some degree of randomness out towards its edges. Now remember each standing wave can affect any standing wave adjacent to it, so each bit has influenced other bits within a 3 dimensional volume, what that ends up doing is allowing information to propagate in all directions within the matrix to the degree of connectivity limited by the number of sides of the standing waves, in this case, a 3 dimensional matrix has six sides. The edges of the matrix obviously have less connections since there are no other waves to connect to outside the matrix.

The architecture and rule of this matrix is similar to a neural network. Since the vector states of each wave is a product of the net effects of other waves adjacent to it they are in a sense weighted but only to a first degree of connectivity. The reason for that is the interpretation of the sum influences of all waves on each wave is still just a binary output. That means if the total net influence of all waves on a single wave is 2 the input to other waves is still one. By the same token if three waves are re-enforcing and one is canceling out the net or vector sum is 2 but the output is still one. Obviously if the net sum of all waves is zero the output is zero. So what ends up happening is a logic operator forms that can be either AND or Not. From these two basic functions all other logical operations to develop more sophisticated programs can be derived!

The 3 x 3 x 3 emulation is using a regular cyclical wave that oscillates between 1 and -1 which I thought could be the reason for the convergence on the oscillating patterns. But when I change the waves to oscillate randomly they at first start off as random patterns but it then begins to converge on similar patterns as the cyclical waves.

OK so how does a complex program like a universe come about with this kind of machine. With just 3 dimensional waves the ability to form complex programs is limited by the degree of connectivity of adjacent sides of the standing waves. Propagation of information has to filter through layers upon layers with greater and greater probability of the information being corrupted(changed) as it moves out to influence other logic cubes. So with just a 3 dimensional wave its not likely you can get a universe, but if there are more dimensions increasing the connections of logical units the computational horse power increases because the degree of information coherence is improved as it propagates to other logical units.

To emulate a universe, my gut instinct tells me, you need a hyper-cube like matrix with thousands of dimensions, perhaps 5000 or more. With 5000 dimensions there would be 10,000 connections per wave. That kind of connectivity is approaching what biological neurons have in the human brain.

So you may ask how do you get the data and programming for the universe in the first place? The more connections the more patterns can manifest in the system ultimately over eons of time this standing wave computer or brain evolves a program that ends up as our reality.

My earnest belief is that proving our reality to be a virtual reality is almost impossible, however certain assumptions about our reality are passed away as issues that need not be explained, e.g. Force causing momentum, the behavior of the electron fathoming the type of photon it has adsorbed, matter morphing into photons and photons morphing into mass. These kinds of things can not be explained with descriptions of force, mass and energy as particles or strings, but describing the phenomena as information processing allows for everything in our universe to be explained with very few assumptions... :twisted:

Frank

twistor

Re: Chaos theory and self organizing machines

Post by twistor » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:35 pm

A discussion forum related to the writings of Descartes would be more appropriate.