Physics After Engineering

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Sarangi Gaurab K

Physics After Engineering

Postby Sarangi Gaurab K » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:43 am

Hey guys,

I have done my Engineering (Bachelor of Technology) in Electrical Engg. form National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, India. (2003)
And now after a couple of years in Job, I want to pursue further education in Pure Physics, an MS course in that.

So guys how to go about it.... GRE, Phy GRE, TOEFL etc...

How to go about the preparation for the Phy GRE....

Icu

I am with you

Postby Icu » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:26 pm

:D :D :D

Hi,

I took my btech from NIT caliclut. But I am preparing fot GRE, Subject gre in physics. I have barrons and kaplan for the general test. I really dont know how to prepare for the subject gre. I went through the problems the have given in the bulletin. I think I'll start with a few chapters from Halliday ad Resnik, Then Shaums series problems in electromagnetism, the smae series in Quantum mechanics. I found out that there is another book by Halliday and resnik in atoms, molecules....
I believe I can finnish all these things before november.

bye
sree

Sarangi Gaurab K

Great to see someone trodding the same path

Postby Sarangi Gaurab K » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:55 am

Hi Sree,

Good to hear from you. I too have started prep with Resnick, Halliday (the edition with Walker), and using Concepts of Modern Physics by Arthur Beiser. The Sub-GRE course is not to hard and can be covered in 4 months hopefully.
Bye the way there is another forum a yahoo group called 'physicsgre'..
the link is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physicsgre/join
join the group and there are more guys like us, most of the members being Indian. More over they have lots of useful resourses in their database.
By the way when did you pass out of your college? what are your branch?
Send your mail id to me and we won't have to hassle around with this forum..
mine is g.k.sarangi@gmail.com

So long
Gaurav

sumanganguli

physics after engineering

Postby sumanganguli » Thu May 04, 2006 5:11 am

Hi ,
I have done my engineering in ECE and curently working as an SAP consultant . I am doing this job because of some unavoidable circumstances. In my third year only i have planned to shift to physics . But i have heard that most of the universities dont consider engineering students for graduate physics study . Please let me know how should i approach .

bappai_102

hi

Postby bappai_102 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:49 am

wrong post
Last edited by bappai_102 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

prat

Re: Physics After Engineering

Postby prat » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:11 am

hi!
all you guys , what happened? were you successful in your switch to physics? i am trying to switch too. I am a BE comps NIT Surathkal. pls let me know anything relevant .

cheers
prat

marten

Postby marten » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Sarangi, Icu, Sumanganguli, Bappai, and Prat,

I'd be very interested in hearing your experiences also. Although I'm a domestic student (and not an international like you), there just isn't much information or personal accounts from people who have made the jump from engineering to physics. I have a BSE and I've applied to physics PhD programs, so soon we'll know if I've been accepted anywhere.

How are your plans going?

Marten

prat

Postby prat » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 am

I've just apped. Waiting for admits. Why dont you join the physicsgre@yahoogroups.com group? Lots of discussion just happened there.

Prat

prat

Postby prat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:37 am

Hey !

I've been admitted to the Engineering Physics MS program at UVirginia.

marten

Postby marten » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:20 am

Hey, congratulations prat! Do you know if you're getting funded yet?

prat

Postby prat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:24 am

I've a very good feeling that not much is gonna come through as funding. But, I'm hoping I'll get something though. But its not a very expensive college. Or is it? $21K per year.

butsurigakusha

Postby butsurigakusha » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:08 pm

In my opinion, $21K per year for tuition is very expensive.

prat

Postby prat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:06 pm

then what is reasonable? How much state colls charge, is it?

i wonder what you'd think of $35k then! RPI .. whats your opinion on RPI?

butsurigakusha

Postby butsurigakusha » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:16 pm

That's probably pretty typical for out-of-state tuition at public schools. But it's still too expensive for my taste. If I had to fork out that kind of money for grad school, I would seriously reconsider going. But, if you don't have a problem paying tuition, then by all means, go ahead.

prat

Postby prat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:25 pm

I certainly do have a problem with paying that much. I'm applying for assistanships there. Hopefully will get them.

But generally, how's Rensselaer as an engineering school? I've been admitted at U Virginia too, and I'm trying to decided b/w the two.

excel

Postby excel » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:41 pm

By the way, I recently visited U. Virginia.

I found Charlottesville to be a quaint little town with its own little airport. Much of the town's activity happens at U. Virginia. It is a very large university with ~20K students or something like that. I found the main part of the university (the Rotunda and the Lawn) to be quite beautiful...mostly, a nice campus, I think. Quite safe, especially now that the town rapist has recently been caught .(When pressed on safety issues, everyone there talked about the town rapist who is now behind bars). There is not a whole lot to do in the town, but it is a nice place to hike etc. if you are that kind of person.

There is lot of housing near the campus. A grad student told me that he pays $ 600 per month for a 2-person townhouse. Food places, groceries etc etc. are all there within good distance, and students can take advantage of the frequent free buses to get around the place...

prat

Postby prat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:53 pm

excel wrote:By the way, I recently visited U. Virginia.
I found Charlottesville to be a quaint little town with its own little airport. Much of the town's activity happens at U. Virginia. It is a very large university with ~20K students or something like that.

Isn't it better to be in a smaller program, where you get more "attention" ?

excel wrote: I found the main part of the university (the Rotunda and the Lawn) to be quite beautiful...mostly, a nice campus, I think.

I like beautiful, but what I really want to know is about Rensselaer's and UVirginia's reputations. Which would be a better place to learn, which would be a place where you'll definitely do some good research. I know its all up to you n all that .. but still .

Comparison, really. I know it gets pretty frozen at Troy. But, there's skiing and snowboarding :D and NY's just 2.5 hrs away :D . And I discovered RPI has a Kung Fu club..( big fan! always wanted to learn :P )

excel wrote:Quite safe, especially now that the town rapist has recently been caught .(When pressed on safety issues, everyone there talked about the town rapist who is now behind bars).

Well... now that bit of info makes it really shady!

excel wrote:There is lot of housing near the campus. A grad student told me that he pays $ 600 per month for a 2-person townhouse. Food places, groceries etc etc. are all there within good distance, and students can take advantage of the frequent free buses to get around the place...

Troy's pretty cheap too, that way.

excel

Postby excel » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:09 pm

For grad schools, there is no simple relation between the size of the university and the attention you will receive. It may depend more on the research group you join. I do not know abt their physics program specifically. I visited a different department where most faculty members seemed to have like 4-5 grad students, which is quite alright, I think.

In terms of reputation, I think both RPI and U. Virginia are roughly like top 20 but not top 10. Among public univ., U.S. News ranks U. Virginia at #2 right behind UC Berkeley...dont know how good this ranking is for grad studies etc etc...just giving you an idea. My department at U. Virginia is ranked top 15 overall and one of the strongest in my subarea.

Well, I think it is a very safe place. :lol:

By the way, I am not advocating U. Virginia to you, only giving you a sense of the impression I formed during my recent visit. Ultimately, it is upto you...and also the matter of which univ givees you funding!

prat

Postby prat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:36 pm

yes! funding.

UVa is an MS ( Engg Phy )
RPI is a PhD ( Multidisciplinary Sc .. yes yes .. i know .. mul sc .. "what's that???!"..sigh)

so.. its almost obvious , which would be the choice .. lesseee

collectedsoul

Postby collectedsoul » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:57 pm

prat wrote:I've a very good feeling that not much is gonna come through as funding. But, I'm hoping I'll get something though. But its not a very expensive college. Or is it? $21K per year.

Isn't the tuition waived for all Ph.D. programs in the US?

sumit.agarwal3

Postby sumit.agarwal3 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 am

Hi Friends,
I am a software engineer working in Mumbai, India. I have done my under graduation in computer science in India. With my 1.5 years of IT experience, I have realized that I would like to pursue my graduation and even PHD in physics. I wanted to know about the challenges that I would face in doing so, as for the last 5 years I have been associated with computer engineering and have not been remotely associated with physics. Theory of relativity and quantum mechanics have always excited me, and I would like to pursue a study on the same. Please let me know if its possible for a software professional to get into physics. If yes, then what should be my immediate steps. Should I take GRE or the subject GRE. I just needed some sort of a guidance from you for the next 6 months or which would help me improve myself to the extent that I can work in physics. Keenly awaiting your guidance.
Thanks.

Return to “Physics GRE Forum”