Advice Needed: PGRE: missed final 30 questions.

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

bohrpi

Advice Needed: PGRE: missed final 30 questions.

Post by bohrpi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:30 pm

I took the PGRE today, and felt it went very well throughout the test. Unfortunately, due to misreading the clock, I didn't start filling out the answers until 5 minutes before the test finished (I always do it 10 minutes before). I only managed to pencil in roughly 70 of my answers. In the practice tests I have been scoring 910 - 970 (under timed conditions). I feel that my score is going to be very weak. I am planning on doing research in Hep-Th, and thus, a PGRE score will be very damning. I have a 3.8 GPA in physics (top 10 school), including 6 graduate physics courses, two pubs, and lots of research. I project that I will get a score of 600-700 - any advice on what to do?

clandarkfire

Re: Advice Needed: PGRE: missed final 30 questions.

Post by clandarkfire » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Well, your score on the practice tests suggests you get a raw score of ~80. If you answered 70 questions with this accuracy, you'd expect a raw score of ~55, which would give you ~760. Somewhat disappointing for you, yes, but likely not low enough to keep you out of grad school anywhere, especially if you have lots of research and publications.