Advice Needed: PGRE: missed final 30 questions.

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Advice Needed: PGRE: missed final 30 questions.

Postby bohrpi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:30 pm

I took the PGRE today, and felt it went very well throughout the test. Unfortunately, due to misreading the clock, I didn't start filling out the answers until 5 minutes before the test finished (I always do it 10 minutes before). I only managed to pencil in roughly 70 of my answers. In the practice tests I have been scoring 910 - 970 (under timed conditions). I feel that my score is going to be very weak. I am planning on doing research in Hep-Th, and thus, a PGRE score will be very damning. I have a 3.8 GPA in physics (top 10 school), including 6 graduate physics courses, two pubs, and lots of research. I project that I will get a score of 600-700 - any advice on what to do?

Re: Advice Needed: PGRE: missed final 30 questions.

Postby clandarkfire » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Well, your score on the practice tests suggests you get a raw score of ~80. If you answered 70 questions with this accuracy, you'd expect a raw score of ~55, which would give you ~760. Somewhat disappointing for you, yes, but likely not low enough to keep you out of grad school anywhere, especially if you have lots of research and publications.

Return to “Physics GRE Forum”