Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

  • If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

floating
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 am

Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby floating » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 am

Write down your score and percentile if you wish, and whether you were satisfied.

Mine: 980, 93%.
Since the difference between 980 and 990 is just one question, I got a bit upset.

metaphyx
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby metaphyx » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:54 am

980. 93%. I am happy about the score. But is there any way to see your raw score or predict it in some way?

shep23
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby shep23 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:57 am

Second that question. Will we eventually know more about the details of our scores?

floating
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby floating » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

In 2008:
82+ 990 95%
81 980 94%
80 970 93%

According to https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table2.pdf, now:
94% corresponds to 990
93% corresponds to 980

Doofenshmirtz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:15 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Doofenshmirtz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:48 am

990 (94%)

Attempted all and got around 7 wrong (raw score ~91)

shep23
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby shep23 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:00 am

Doofenshmirtz wrote:990 (94%)

Attempted all and got around 7 wrong (raw score ~91)



How do you know your raw score?

Doofenshmirtz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:15 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Doofenshmirtz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:16 am

shep23 wrote:
Doofenshmirtz wrote:990 (94%)

Attempted all and got around 7 wrong (raw score ~91)



How do you know your raw score?


It's an estimate.

DivineHorseCloud
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby DivineHorseCloud » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm not as smart as you guys. I got 900 despite studying hard for 2 months. Hope I can still get in somewhere. :?

Robbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Robbie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 pm

floating wrote:Write down your score and percentile if you wish, and whether you were satisfied.

Mine: 980, 93%.
Since the difference between 980 and 990 is just one question, I got a bit upset.

you think how many raw score you got?
I think this year's score might be lower than expected.

gendf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:39 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby gendf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:56 am

got 880. I attempted 79, 80 or 81 questions. For sure I made 2 mistakes + 1 pretty possible mistake. So this lead me to raw score 75-77. And perhaps up to 5 some silly mistakes which I always do. So, I would say my raw score somewhere around 70 (from 69-71 to 75-77 ). Plus 12-15 to achieve 990 points. So the margin for 990 is from 81-86 to 87-92. So totally it should be in a range 81-92. Very rough estimation, but may be someone can refine it knowing his performance.

User avatar
Aether73
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Aether73 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 am

DivineHorseCloud wrote:I'm not as smart as you guys. I got 900 despite studying hard for 2 months. Hope I can still get in somewhere. :?


You've got a pretty strong profile.

floating
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby floating » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:24 am

Robbie wrote:
floating wrote:Write down your score and percentile if you wish, and whether you were satisfied.

Mine: 980, 93%.
Since the difference between 980 and 990 is just one question, I got a bit upset.

you think how many raw score you got?
I think this year's score might be lower than expected.



First round I answered 77 questions. 2nd round made it 95, with 7-8 guesses. If in this exam, like the 2008 exam, 93% corresponds to 80 net correct answers, I must have answered 12 questions wrong. In the sample exams too I usually had 10-15 wrong answers. As I said, the only downside is that I'm only one correct answer short of 990.
Why do you think this year's score might be lower than expected? I think this might be true for easier exams (I think this one wasn't one of the easier ones) since everyone answers more questions correctly and thus getting into the top 6% becomes more difficult; if I'm right that ETS gives the scaled scores based on percentiles and not the number of net correct answers.

floating
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby floating » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:33 am

DivineHorseCloud wrote:I'm not as smart as you guys. I got 900 despite studying hard for 2 months. Hope I can still get in somewhere. :?


I think 900 is good enough. It's higher than even the average of U of Chicago (890) and Caltech (880). I don't know if you're an international student and whether average score of international students is usually higher.
Just that in U of Texas, Austin, the total average was mentioned to be 827 and the average of internationals 927.

Robbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Robbie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:35 am

floating wrote:
Robbie wrote:
floating wrote:Write down your score and percentile if you wish, and whether you were satisfied.

Mine: 980, 93%.
Since the difference between 980 and 990 is just one question, I got a bit upset.

you think how many raw score you got?
I think this year's score might be lower than expected.



First round I answered 77 questions. 2nd round made it 95, with 7-8 guesses. If in this exam, like the 2008 exam, 93% corresponds to 80 net correct answers, I must have answered 12 questions wrong. In the sample exams too I usually had 10-15 wrong answers. As I said, the only downside is that I'm only one correct answer short of 990.
Why do you think this year's score might be lower than expected? I think this might be true for easier exams (I think this one wasn't one of the easier ones) since everyone answers more questions correctly and thus getting into the top 6% becomes more difficult; if I'm right that ETS gives the scaled scores based on percentiles and not the number of net correct answers.


I tested in China. Definitely an easy one. I don't know whether the US version is different or not. I did all the questions. I thought I could aim 95+ correct but I don't know how I got 980. Do you know whether I could contact ETS and let them check my score again?

heisenbergh23
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby heisenbergh23 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:15 am

I think you should definitely contact ETS, and ask them to recheck your paper. If they change it to 990, then it's fine. Otherwise, I suggest you to wait until next year, and write the test again. Make sure you start studying from now for the test. With 980, you have no chance this year!

floating
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby floating » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Robbie wrote:I tested in China. Definitely an easy one. I don't know whether the US version is different or not. I did all the questions. I thought I could aim 95+ correct but I don't know how I got 980. Do you know whether I could contact ETS and let them check my score again?


You can ask for a score review. more info here: http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/scores/get/
Why are you unhappy with a 980? Had you tried the 5 available previous exams (in the conditions)? How many questions did you normally get wrong?

Robbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Robbie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:28 pm

RonaldoMcDonaldo wrote:
Robbie wrote:I tested in China. Definitely an easy one. I don't know whether the US version is different or not. I did all the questions. I thought I could aim 95+ correct but I don't know how I got 980. Do you know whether I could contact ETS and let them check my score again?


980 is absolutely unacceptable. You won't get into any programs with such a deficiency. I would contact ETS immediately to get this sorted out. Make sure you are very stern with them. Tell them about how you are sure you answered enough of the questions correctly to deserve the high score. If they disagree, just point out to them that you would know best about how well you did and tell them to shut up if they disagree any further. You must rectify this injustice or you will never make it as a physicist.

I think your idea is way too extreme.
By the way, I guess you don't got 990,
P: 740 (60%)

Robbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Robbie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 pm

floating wrote:
Robbie wrote:I tested in China. Definitely an easy one. I don't know whether the US version is different or not. I did all the questions. I thought I could aim 95+ correct but I don't know how I got 980. Do you know whether I could contact ETS and let them check my score again?


You can ask for a score review. more info here: http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/scores/get/
Why are you unhappy with a 980? Had you tried the 5 available previous exams (in the conditions)? How many questions did you normally get wrong?

I want to do this but it costs 4 weeks, too long

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby PathIntegrals92 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Robbie wrote:
RonaldoMcDonaldo wrote:
Robbie wrote:I tested in China. Definitely an easy one. I don't know whether the US version is different or not. I did all the questions. I thought I could aim 95+ correct but I don't know how I got 980. Do you know whether I could contact ETS and let them check my score again?


980 is absolutely unacceptable. You won't get into any programs with such a deficiency. I would contact ETS immediately to get this sorted out. Make sure you are very stern with them. Tell them about how you are sure you answered enough of the questions correctly to deserve the high score. If they disagree, just point out to them that you would know best about how well you did and tell them to shut up if they disagree any further. You must rectify this injustice or you will never make it as a physicist.

I think your idea is way too extreme.
By the way, I guess you don't got 990,
P: 740 (60%)


RonaldoMcdonaldo was being sarcastic! Robbie, your 980 score is fine! There is no point in getting it checked. Honestly 980 or 990 is not that much different in the end. Also your physics gre score is only one part of your application. You have clearly demonstrated that you did well on this exam, that's it.

Focus on your gpa, research, and getting STRONG LORs.

Robbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Robbie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:17 pm

RonaldoMcdonaldo was being sarcastic! Robbie, your 980 score is fine! There is no point in getting it checked. Honestly 980 or 990 is not that much different in the end. Also your physics gre score is only one part of your application. You have clearly demonstrated that you did well on this exam, that's it.

Focus on your gpa, research, and getting STRONG LORs.[/quote]


U r great nice person.
By the way do you know the appropriate school for me to apply?

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby PathIntegrals92 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 pm

I think we discussed schools in another thread you made! You should look into the schools I have suggested there.

Robbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Robbie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:03 am

PathIntegrals92 wrote:I think we discussed schools in another thread you made! You should look into the schools I have suggested there.

Frankly, I really think those top 10/ top 20 universities are really hard for me to get an offer.

uhurulol
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:38 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby uhurulol » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:41 pm

RonaldoMcDonaldo wrote:I was joking.

There is zero chance that your application will be affected by the difference between a 980 and 990. People think you sound like a prick when you make such a big deal about it. It's my recommendation that you enjoy your nearly perfect score and continue on with your applications.


^ This x 100000000000. Complaining that you're in the top 5% instead of the top 4% makes you sound arrogant and egotistical. Plenty of people do significantly worse and still get into good schools. All you're doing by complaining about a 980 is making anyone who got lower than that feel worse about themselves. Definitely not the type of attitude you want to have if you want to succeed in graduate school, where teamwork, cooperation and friendship make all the difference.

Robbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby Robbie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:16 am

uhurulol wrote:
RonaldoMcDonaldo wrote:I was joking.

There is zero chance that your application will be affected by the difference between a 980 and 990. People think you sound like a prick when you make such a big deal about it. It's my recommendation that you enjoy your nearly perfect score and continue on with your applications.


^ This x 100000000000. Complaining that you're in the top 5% instead of the top 4% makes you sound arrogant and egotistical. Plenty of people do significantly worse and still get into good schools. All you're doing by complaining about a 980 is making anyone who got lower than that feel worse about themselves. Definitely not the type of attitude you want to have if you want to succeed in graduate school, where teamwork, cooperation and friendship make all the difference.

Sorry, it's not complaining, I guess you understand it in the wrong way.

uhurulol
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:38 am

Re: Physics GRE of ((Oct 25, 2014)) results

Postby uhurulol » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Robbie wrote:
uhurulol wrote:
RonaldoMcDonaldo wrote:I was joking.

There is zero chance that your application will be affected by the difference between a 980 and 990. People think you sound like a prick when you make such a big deal about it. It's my recommendation that you enjoy your nearly perfect score and continue on with your applications.


^ This x 100000000000. Complaining that you're in the top 5% instead of the top 4% makes you sound arrogant and egotistical. Plenty of people do significantly worse and still get into good schools. All you're doing by complaining about a 980 is making anyone who got lower than that feel worse about themselves. Definitely not the type of attitude you want to have if you want to succeed in graduate school, where teamwork, cooperation and friendship make all the difference.

Sorry, it's not complaining, I guess you understand it in the wrong way.


That's precisely the problem; I'm certain you didn't mean it in any sort of negative way, but that's the way some people will read it. You should be happy with that score, plain and simple. Very happy.

There's always a certain "political" aspect to everything. You don't want to give the wrong impression to anyone in your field. You want them to like you, and coming off as an obsessive perfectionist isn't the best way to make yourself seem like an approachable person. Like I said before, I don't think your posts had any ill intent, but you should always ensure that you're giving the right impression to people in the field you care about. Just my opinion.




Return to “Physics GRE Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest