Agriculturist hoping to become physicist

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

red gaint

Agriculturist hoping to become physicist

Post by red gaint » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:30 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear with me if am off-tracked and abstract....

I am 23yrs old, graduate of a 4 year degree in agriculture ( GPA-77% ). I was forced to do this degree because of my family situation. The world has darken before me & am extremely unhappy with my profession. I am good in physics and maths and wanted to make a career in physics.

Does a really good score in GRE general and subject test with agriculture degree ( it's purely biology, no maths or physics course in it), opens the door (M.S in physics) to prestigious physics graduate schools in U.S? or Should I do a physics undergraduate degree and try my bet? even i do a physics undergraduate degree there's no possibility for any undergraduate research or experiance I can gain in my country as it's one of the most abandoned course. And i can't afford a course abroad.

Kindly advice me on this path....

Many thanks..

twistor

Re: Agriculturist hoping to become physicist

Post by twistor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm sorry to inform you of this but even an outstanding GRE score, with no research experience or formal math and physics training, isn't going to get you far at all. Very few graduate school physics departments actually require a degree in physics, but most do expect that if you do not have a physics degree you will have a degree in a related field, such as engineering.

Moreover, if you are applying to prestigious graduate schools in the US don't even consider applying for a masters. Most of the better graduate schools will only seriously consider Ph.d. applicants. If you are serious about a masters you should consider a smaller and/or less prestigious school.

If you are absolutely serious about this your best bet would be to obtain an undergraduate degree in physics and then pursue graduate studies. Without this and with your present background it's going to be hard for any admissions committee to seriously consider your application.

red gaint

Post by red gaint » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:07 am

Thank for your reply!

Which would be more appealing to a grad school, an undergraduate physics degree obtained through regular college or one that obtained through distant learning (also there are other things too such as GPA, research experience etc to make it appealing ), but in my present situation I have no time to attend a regular college though I can, for it, I've to put my family under pressure.

I don't want to regret again in my life by making any wrong move.

please advice me.....

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:50 am

red giant.. !! from which country are you planning to do your UG in physics.. coz if you are doing from India.. the 3 yr course might not be sufficient.. take a look at this (at excel's reply)..

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... dia#p10572